Like Tree5Likes

2026 World Cup - A lot of games - 48 Teams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    About as much information content as "In the US, you can expect people to play using a ball". Have you even heard of FIFA?

As crazy as 48 teams sound, I think it will improve the tournament. World cup isn't only about who wins in the end, it's about the stories happening along the way. And it is also about some outstanding individuals - Ibrahimovic and Bale having missed out repeatedly because they're from tiny nations is regrettable. And I do expect the US to make it a magnificent tournament. If they can do battlefield-level fireworks for Master Chef competitions, I expect nothing short of a nuclear first strike for the ultimate winner...
    I remember someone saying " if George Best is so great why doesn't he play for England?". So much talent does not get to play at the World Cup so like you I agree with the change.

I expect nothing short of a nuclear first strike for the ultimate winner...
    Now that would be an incentive to not lose in the finals.

Going to be awful from a logistics/quality point of view. 80 matches is just too much football, especially with the dead rubber formats proposed. They're already shifting from the original idea 16 groups (!) of 3 with top 2 going through as it will lead to many ahem pre-arranged results. Also talk of doing away with draws in the group stages - all draws got to penalty shoot out. If FIFA can do one thing well, it's ruining what makes football great.

Still planning to go to Mexico though. Atmosphere should be amazing. Especially after the simulated World Cup going on in Qatar.

As crazy as 48 teams sound, I think it will improve the tournament. World cup isn't only about who wins in the end, it's about the stories happening along the way. And it is also about some outstanding individuals - Ibrahimovic and Bale having missed out repeatedly because they're from tiny nations is regrettable.
    There really should be a team made up from the Rest of the World who didn't make it so many many more countries would have something to cheer for.

Adding another 16 teams is just a cash grab by FIFA.
    FrancisX likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2