Like Tree3Likes

24 hour gyms in Hong Kong, which one to go for?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

24 hour gyms in Hong Kong, which one to go for?

Hi guys,

I've searched endlessly on Google and figured the most useful info will come straight from the community.

So I'm looking at 24 hour gyms and wondering about the pros and cons of each one. Of course the cost, facilities and location play important factors, but any other considerations would be much appreciated (e.g. How busy it gets, cleanliness etc).

I'm looking at Anytime Fitness and Snap at the moment based on their cost (seems around HKD 500), convenient locations and also that you get access to other branches around the world.

Let me know your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Gavster:
    Hi guys,

I've searched endlessly on Google and figured the most useful info will come straight from the community.

So I'm looking at 24 hour gyms and wondering about the pros and cons of each one. Of course the cost, facilities and location play important factors, but any other considerations would be much appreciated (e.g. How busy it gets, cleanliness etc).

I'm looking at Anytime Fitness and Snap at the moment based on their cost (seems around HKD 500), convenient locations and also that you get access to other branches around the world.

Let me know your thoughts!

These other considerations are still largely dependent on other factors- specifically location and time of day.

Seriously, just choose the closest one to you and if you like it, join it. In my experience, and talking to others, locations of other branches in the same chain has been a largely useless factor. If you want to use branches in other countries, you are still probably better off paying for short term usage when overseas.

Should state what you are into in a gym. For heavy lifting, Anytime Fitness is not great.

GO24 is popular and has great equipment but can be busy at peak times.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    Should state what you are into in a gym. For heavy lifting, Anytime Fitness is not great.

GO24 is popular and has great equipment but can be busy at peak times.
    Why is that? I would have thought that all you need is a power cage and barbell (ideally more than one). I've only walked past Anytime Fitness, never been in one.

The only Go24 I have seen has been very good, but that was just one branch in North Point.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Why is that? I would have thought that all you need is a power cage and barbell (ideally more than one). I've only walked past Anytime Fitness, never been in one.

The only Go24 I have seen has been very good, but that was just one branch in North Point.
    I mean it really depends what you go for. For heavier lifting, for me it doesn't accommodate.

For example, can't deadlift unless you put a mat underneath despite it being a deadlift platform. But I guess it depends on location.
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    For example, can't deadlift unless you put a mat underneath despite it being a deadlift platform. But I guess it depends on location.
    I recall reading the same about the Fitness First that opened up a while ago on Des Voeux Rd years back. That's abysmally stupid, and probably worth having a big argument about.

Chillout people, just put a mat down.
    Most likely due to the people downstairs noise complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by redslert:
    Chillout people, just put a mat down.
    Most likely due to the people downstairs noise complaint.
    Do you even know what a deadlift platform is?

Hint: It's a mat with some other stuff.

Yes I know what is it and yes I know putting some mats down wouldn't hurt anyone.
    Just chill and do as ask, it does not hurt you.
    They can't leave mats down as it could be a trip hazard, so just put it down when you are using it.
    No need to over think... people don't go out of the way to make your life difficult by giving you additional instructions unless it is necessary.

The extra rubber mats used in gyms are typically at least 5cm thick. If this doesn't affect your deadlift, you're not deadlifting much.

Quote Originally Posted by redslert:
    No need to over think... people don't go out of the way to make your life difficult by giving you additional instructions unless it is necessary.
    You can write this with a straight face, after 3 years of HK covid rules?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast