Like Tree4Likes

How expensive is golf in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How expensive is golf in HK?

Hi all, I will be moving to HK soon and am wondering whether to bring my golf clubs over or not.

Obviously I will be bringing a lot of my personal stuff, so I can also buy my clubs there (I assume this will be somewhat cheaper)

If it is too expensive, then I probably bring my clubs over.

I will be living in the NT area. How much does the driving range cost? What about an 18 hole round? Do you have to be a member to play?

TIA

You can get some good local golf info on this website:

Golf007 China Golf Hong Kong Golf Asia Golf

Select 'Course Review', the info for each course has info about green fees.

well it really depends on where you play / practise

Of course, if you want to get a golf club membership like (HK golf club, Discovery Bay golf club...etc), u are expecting at least $1 to $10 million dollars.

But sometimes, they allow people to play on weekdays which is no need for membership. Just pay to play.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If you don't wish to pay about US$1 million for a membership to the Hong Kong Golf Club, there is one public golf course in Hong Kong and it's in the N.T.

http://www.kscgolf.org.hk/index-e.asp

Thanks a lot! it looks like i will be bringing my clubs over

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    If you don't wish to pay about US$1 million for a membership to the Hong Kong Golf Club, there is one public golf course in Hong Kong and it's in the N.T.

http://www.kscgolf.org.hk/index-e.asp
    US$1 million...really?!?

If you are not a keen golfer, you can pick up knock offs in China for less than 200US. I did that once when I had to leave my clubs behind and when I went back, I sold the used set for double the price I had paid in China.

The quality is so so but if you're more than 20 handicap, you won't notice much difference. I'm below that and I'd say they cost me at the most 3-5 strokes a game. The short irons killed me at the shafts were a bit too whippy and they were inconsistent but I generally hit a bit longer with those clubs when my timing was right so the woods were fine.

If you join a private club, many of them have debentures and you can play for free on weekends at some of the clubs in China or Macau if you're lucky enough to get the debentures. It's also a little easier to get tee times at KSC now that there are three courses especially when the weather is warm.

Same boat, have clubs but would just like to pay green fees for the odd round. How hard is that?

Plan to pay about HK$800 to play (all in) at public KSC golf. If no HKID, add $200. Bring some kind of handicap record as KSC does not want rank beginners mucking about. The time slots are crowded as hell, must call one week in advance to book a tee time. Can walk on usually after 10am but then join another 2/3 guys.
    I practice at Garden Farm, near Sai Kung. I think Whitehead golf still in operation but uncertain.
    All other HK golf courses private and some exclusive. China has (did have) many but there too, $$, and transport an big issue. Must have China visa and wise to heed new advice from USA govt to avoid China due to 'arbitrary detention' of foreigners.
    Serious golfers zip off to Thailand or PI for long weekend.
    And regards HK Golf Club, near Fanling, yes pay US$1 million, or more, and wait 13 years, or more.

Ah yes the US travel advisory now puts China on the same level as the UK and France. Two very dangerous places that one should avoid

There is a more affordable(slightly) way to join a private club, you can rent a monthly debenture both in HK and China. It's never going to be cheap but it beats a million US. Some of the sports club like the American Club and HKFC also have simulators and have debentures that allow their members to play for free at a couple of clubs. Transport is not always a big issue to China since many clubs offer shuttle buses to their clubs. Compulsory caddies and the tips does make it more expensive in China, Thailand or the PI.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast