HK Marathon/Half/10km

Closed Thread

HK Marathon/Half/10km

I'm wondering if anyone else of the forums took part in this today.

I had to wake up at a soul destroying 04:30, but I managed the 10km in 54:38, which is my best time yet, so I'm chuffed to bits.

Hihi, yah I was in the 10KM... its not a good year for me and I did 1H 17Min.. i had to queue for the toilet during the race, and I had stomach ache... bad timing... anyway good experienced and hope for better results again for the next race. hehe be healthy folks!!

Due to late entry, could not make it this time...but a couple of mates did it...with times ranging from 37 minutes to 1H in the 10K, 1h19 to 1h30 in the half and three buddies who completed the full (theirtimes vary greatly...from 2.40 to 3.50)...but I'll be there next year for sure!

I can't say that I see the appeal to do a race with 30 000 other people. You bob and weave and get stuck behind slow runners, pretty well no chance of setting a PR and the course isn't really scenic.

I much prefer smaller races that are held in the NT near water or away from traffic areas.

But I guess it's a happening and many people like those...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I can't say that I see the appeal to do a race with 30 000 other people. You bob and weave and get stuck behind slow runners, pretty well no chance of setting a PR and the course isn't really scenic.
    Not if you run in the Full Marathon. It is limited to only 8,000 runners; just keep up with someone wearing a Kenyan shirt and you'll have a great PR!

I much prefer smaller races that are held in the NT near water or away from traffic areas.

To be frank if you are into marathon you do not have much choices...only 3 are held here: China Coast, Macao and StandChart....

That said you do have fantastic trail runs (KOTH for example) and a lot of smaller events (Shatin 10K soon to come, or Zhuhai HM in 2 weeks time for example)

I'm too bad at running to get out of bed at 04:30 unless it's a big event that I've committed myself to The HK run wasn't too bad (I signed up for the first wave, so not so much traffic) though there were people stopping and getting themselves photographed!

Back in the UK I noticed that they often reserve the first wave or so for the 'good' runners and limit the numbers more, so that if you're going for a decent time you won't have so many people in the way. But I guess it's hard to do that in HK when you have 30,000 people on a motorway flyover.

I'd like to be able to do the 1/2 marathon next year, but I fear that might just be 10km too far

There are plenty of short events other than this one. Granted that it's more limited for marathons but since i don't do a lot of them, I prefer to pick and choose nicer ones. There are a couple of 10Ks coming up in early March, one in Tai Po the other in Sha Tin and many, many others. One could be racing just about every week. The Macau marathon is a lot more pleasant and less busy than the one in HK but I suppose it's good to support the local one.

Anyway to each their own, I like to run alone and if I join a race it's to try to see if I have improved. Others do it as a social event...

Must admit to pangs of withdrawal when I saw it. 11 years since the last marathon but still feel the urge. Perhaps I will get my arse off the couch and do something about it for next year. Trouble is I tend to be all or nothing so if I started again I know I would want to be back up to 100 miles a week plus and not sure I would survive the summer heat and not sure my wife would not kill me anyway. Plus I might resent the impact of the passing years and not being able to get PBs all the time. Need a mindset change and start doing it for fun.