Bikram yoga in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bikram yoga in Hong Kong?

I have just moved to HK, where I am hoping to continue doing Bikram yoga (or hot yoga). Doing a quick search of the internet, I can't find any places in HK that offer Bikram. Can anyone advise whether this exists here, or whether there is any hot yoga class like it?

pure yoga has a variety of yoga classes...
    their hot classes follow the bikram style, they also have hot flow which is power done in a hot room.

Pure Yoga

Pure, Planet etc

offer Hot Yoga classes, however, they look like fitness clubs compared to Bikram Yoga studios. They also ask you to sign up 1, 2 or 3 year contract. I hate this idea.

I was not too impressed at Hot Yoga classes in Hong Kong, so started regular yoga classes.

Bikram yoga in HK

I've now been going to classes regularly at Planet Yoga for 4mths, both hot and non-hot. Their "Static 26" classes copy the same 26 postures of Bikram (this probably infringes Bikram copyright, but that's another issue).

However, the Indian teachers for Static 26 have not been trained in Bikram yoga, and their instruction is incorrect and poor for anyone who has done proper Bikram overseas. I continue with these Static 26classes because they are the closest thing HK has to Bikram, but I wish somebody would open up a real Bikram centre here with qualified teachers.

For anyone considering joining Planet Yoga, note also:
    - Popular classes are often filled well in advance, be prepared to book early
    - Classes are often crowded to the brim
    - You can bargain down their prices

I have just tried 2 classes of Bikram yoga in Sydney while I am here for a short vist. I quite enjoyed it. Since I am a beginner, is Planet yoga's static 26 class ok for beginners??
    I am thinking of joining the central club, has anyone got any comment about this branch?

The bikram yoga classes are the same everywhere - same 26 postures, no differentiation between beginners or advanced classes. The "static 26" classes by Planet yoga follow the Bikram routine.

Central is a good set of studios. I like the location and facilities, but it doesn't offer hot classes - only the TST and CWB locations offer hot yoga.

KOWLOON, Hong Kong

Bikram Yoga College Hong Kong
    Tsim Sha Tsui Club
    Gound Floor , 3rd & 4th Floor, Sands Building
    17 Hankow Road
    Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
    Phone: 852.3165.8080
    Contact Membership Manager

Anyone know anything about this one? Thinking of giving it a try!

CC

The address for Sand building is where Planet Yoga is located. I use to practice Bikram here in HK before it closed. I met Bikram and no one in HK is running a studio although there are a few qualified instructors "bikram trained" who practice themselves. Sorry to disappoint you but Bikram is not back in HK yet!! I am eagerly waiting

Tomtee.. the hot yoga at Pure does not compare to Bikram yoga you will be disappointed and its only 60mins

"Bikram" - Planet Yoga vs. Pure

I recently did a free week's trial at Pure, and did a 90min hot class that seemed to try to copy the Bikram moves. I was disappointed, it introduced too many new elements that just didn't feel right. At least at Planet Yoga, the "Static 26" class mimics the exact sequence of 26 postures.

I have renewed my membership at Planet, and go to the Static 26 classes led by Shalon. Of all the Static 26 teachers at Planet, she is the only one who seems Bikram trained and the difference really shows in her classes compared to the other teachers.

Cxflygirl, you are right though about the history of Bikram at Planet; they even still use big towels branded with "Bikram" on them!

I think the Bikram organisation is not making it easy to set up new Bikram studios (more stringent franchise requirements). So for now, Hong Kong will have to rely on unofficial providers for its Bikram hot yoga.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast