Whale Tracking off Lantau (near Shek O)

Whale Tracking off Lantau (near Shek O)

Recently, there is a large sperm whale spotted off the coast of Lantau...near Shek O...it seems lost and wandered into the shallow waters off Lantau.

I am wandering if anybody is interested to share a canoe rent and paddle out to track it. I have prepared my camera and love to catch a glimpse of this wonderful creature.

I am not an experienced paddler but am a great swimmer. So i would prefer to be the co-paddler so i can handle the camera and take some pictures.

But i wonder if the whale has found its way out to the open water

Eh? Shek O is on the South East corner of Hong Kong Island. That puts it at least 30km from Lantau Island. Before you go anywhere I suggest you take a look at a map!

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Two words which I think have never been used on this site will now appear.
    Urmston Road where the whale has been seen is a very heavily used waterway which is why whale spotters have been warned not to enter.
    A small boat was cut in two yesterday off Cheung Chau, so I wouldn't give a chance in hell of surviving an hour in a canoe.

I made the crossing from Aberdeen to Picnic bay in a sampan once and the sight of a looming containership from sea level and the subsequent wake has put me off from ever doing it again.

sorry folks,
    it is not Lantau but near Stanley, Tai Tam Bay area where it is last seen and then moved up to Shek O, and this morning spotted off Lo Chau island, southeast. It was flipping it's tail several times and blowing water. However, it disappeared when some boats approached it. The Fisheries Department has however warned the public not to approach it as it may disorient it from finding its way back to the sea. The seas are rough too and big mist today, so any idea has to be called off.

Looks like we don't have any luck at all...

this is as close as you can get to nature...without travelling the distance and spending hours or days spotting wildlife overseas. Canoe is definitely not an option as the distance ride from any point from Stanley or Shek O is way too far. The nearest point is Lo Chau and to get a bigger boat as the seas are too rough for canoeing.

Last edited by =XTR=M=; 21-03-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Group buy on a MASSIVE telephoto lens (stalker, spy grade) to capture that thing? jokes

Quote Originally Posted by mr_dimsum:
    Group buy on a MASSIVE telephoto lens (stalker, spy grade) to capture that thing? jokes
    emm...to use that sort of thing would really need a pro...the boat may be swaying constantly and this is not a good choice for a pro camera, is it?

The whale just popped up again yesterday morning off Po Tau island, shifted down south from where it was last spotted in Lo Chau and Shek O.

it flipped its tail as usual, and blew water...not sure why it still won't leave the territory. Maybe it is having fun there or there could be something keeping it from leaving.