Anyone wanna go for a bike ride??

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz:
    Thanks jgl! How long is the trail? would it take a couple of hours?

Anyone want to meet up at the ferry to mui wo on saturday morning for a bit of an adventure?

I have to be at the south side of the island by 3, so would be pretty keen to catch a ferry around 10ish - will need to check ferry timetable if this suits people

Lunch would be good too! yum!
    The full trail would take a fit rider, who knows the trail and riding fast, about 2 hours. I've taken very new riders out on it, and it's taken over five hours. If it's hot, bring a minimum of 3L of water. Also bring something to eat.

Bear in mind, I'm talking about doing the whole trail with lots of stops. You can always turn around any time. You can also choose between 3 start points - the Mui Wo and Pui O ends, or catch the short ferry from Mui Wo to the prison which is halfway along. This ferry is very infrequent though- check with Jacky at Friendly Bikes for the timetable.

Riding over the hill from the end (Pui O) back to Mui Wo via the road involves a massive (well, by HK beginner standards) hill climb. Can be done in <20 minutes if you're in good shape, but not recommended for beginners. Instead, you can flag down a taxi which can take a couple of bikes in the trunk. There's a slight surcharge for bikes- about $10.

Anyway, don't let the complicated bits of my post put you off. Lots of new people rock up, hire a bike and just start riding, and have a good time of it. The 3pm finish isn't terribly practical though, specially with such a late start. Better to make a whole day of it, and finish with a meal at the China Bear afterwards.

Wow..plesantly surprised by the response so going thru them and see if we can sort something out. jgl, you seem to be the most experienced and have done the Lantau trail before. Would you be interested in arranging a day of it??

I did the Sok Ku Wan Quarry a few weeks ago and had a good fun ride..

If the ride is a whole day thing and then hopefully we can get a date arranged before its too hot and humid. Watch this space ppl

I'm not really up for organising any rides, but if you want someone to take care of all the logistics and even provide good full suspension cross country bikes, get in touch with Steve at Cross Country Hong Kong

He's HK's best mountain bike instructor and lives out on Lantau. He organises beginner trips out on CMW all the time and has a fleet of Giant Anthems for his clients which are several steps up from what you can hire from the bike shop.

Last edited by jgl; 15-04-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Supermanx,
    Cool let me know when you organise something, I have dragon boat training on sundays at the moment annoyingly in the middle of the day so saturrdays work best for me if it's an all day outing!

jgl,
    Thanks for the info it's been really uselful!

mountain bike riding hong kong

We have been out with Steve who supplies bikes and transport to the trail heads. We recently went out to Chi Ma Wan. If you want further info his email address is: [email protected]

Anyone keen for a ride on friday since it's a public holiday?

Hi Kiz, were you thinkin the rides on the hk cycling routes from Tai Wan to Tai Mei Tuk or something a little more off road?

I was thinking of doing that ride suggested by jgl in Lantau, which I believe is a trail ride, but I don't really care where I ride as long as I can hire a bike and it isn't too technical or hard

Bike on Friday:

1. Kiz
    2. Mad

Keep the list going...

Hey Mad,

Have had a couple of people PM me and say they would be very keen to go some other time, so figure will just pass this time!