Which bus to the Dragon's back?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Get hold of the the Countryside Series map for HK Island, and any other areas you plan to go - five cover the whole territory - then you can plan more easily (and navigate better on the ground).

You can buy the maps at larger bookstores, or order online from the Government bookstore.

And the best hill walking in HK is, in my opinion, on Lantau Island.

Last edited by PDLM; 31-05-2009 at 09:42 PM.

There are also hiking groups out there you can join. They often go places that are less travelled and so you find some really stunning "out of the way" spots.

Links include Hong Kong Hiking Meetup Group (Hong Kong) - Meetup.com
    SaturdayHikers : The Saturday Hikers Club of Hong Kong

and if you are fit and manic, try these: The Hong Kong Trampers - Home

Ok..

How long do you think its going to take to complete the Hong Kong Trail tomorrow?

I'm starting at the peak about 5.30am (want to do as much walking as I can before midday) and i'm looking to be finished about 6.30 pm with a 1 hour lunch stop.

Is that realistic? its about 50k I think.

we did peak to aberdeen last weekend and it took 3 hrs 10 mins at a brisk pace with a couple of short stops in a big group (but that is almost all downhill....)

Hmm.. I walked The Twins Hike on Monday and that took 1hr 20... it says the whole Hong Kong trail should take 15 hours. I'd assume they over compensate on the website but i'm not too sure.

I might just go the route for 13 hours and see if I hit Big Wave Bay. if not.. then see how far I do get and do the rest at a later date.

Last edited by kenbo23; 04-06-2009 at 04:28 PM.

I've done it in 7h36 but that was 3 years ago when I was fit, and in February when it was cool. If you complete it then I guess you'll complete it in less than 12 hours. The problem at the moment is the heat. There are large stretches of the route with no shade at all. And blisters if your footwear isn't perfect.

The place where many people seem to give up at the first attempt is the staircase up from the sea to the Shek O road at about the 42km mark.

Good luck!

there is also a heck of a lot of concrete in the paths - terrible underfoot. I struggle to know why it's so popular when there are so much nicer trails in NT or lantau....! I really didn't enjoy the hike on Sunday much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I've done it in 7h36 but that was 3 years ago when I was fit, and in February when it was cool. If you complete it then I guess you'll complete it in less than 12 hours. The problem at the moment is the heat. There are large stretches of the route with no shade at all. And blisters if your footwear isn't perfect.

The place where many people seem to give up at the first attempt is the staircase up from the sea to the Shek O road at about the 42km mark.

Good luck!
    42k is most of the way there... I'd be really dissapointed if I didn't do the last bit after all that!

7h 36.. damn! thats good time to do it in!!

Its apparently going to be 33degrees tomorrow, so i've got ALOT of water in the fridge at the moment and have prepared a sensible amount of food for the day as well.

I'm walking it in trainers... I cant do Hiking boots, I tend to wear my running attire when doing long walks.

No needs for hiking boots on this trail. Something with lots of bounce is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    there is also a heck of a lot of concrete in the paths - terrible underfoot. I struggle to know why it's so popular when there are so much nicer trails in NT or lantau....! I really didn't enjoy the hike on Sunday much at all.
    probably because its on the Island... no need to get a ferry or anything.

We were going to do the lantau trail... but we wouldn't have time to get there and walk it in a day... we'd do that over 2 days.