Kiting in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tai Po Waterfront Park

This is also very popular with local kiters, but perhaps a bit far out for you.

we took our students on an outing for kiteflying at Tai Po Waterfront park...unfortunately the designated 'kiteflying areas' are small, and surrounded by trees, we spent the better part of the morning climbing trees to unsnag the kites lol!

what about at the beach?

I'll be in HK in August for the third time, for about a month and a half. I was wondering if during weekdays there's any space at some of the beaches in HK to fly a traction kite? I would fly my stunt kite but it's kind of hard to pack in a suitcase. I assume that during weekends beaches are crowded all over. I read there is also a park behind cyberport to fly kites? anyone try it there?
    Thanx,
    Gonza

while some beaches are listed as 'hotspots' for kiting, I believe this is only in the off season...we have gone to Shek O in winter when it was deserted, but summer (esp. August) you will be hard-pressed to find any space to fly IMO.

I guess if you were to go remote to, say, Tai Long Wan in Sai Kung or Pui O/Cheung Sha on Lantau, it might work, but HK Island is prob. off limits...

yes i was thinking to go remote anyways just for the beach, clean water is worth the effort. i will try that! thanx a lot
    Gonza

Quote Originally Posted by Stubee:
    Hey there,
    Thanks guys - I like the sound of timklip's suggestion, lots of open space is exactly what I need! And I def don't want my kite confiscated!
    i went by the area I suggested, today...found out it is fenced and gated so possibly private land....i'm not sure how people get in there, but there are very often people walking their dogs/flying kites/fishing off the banks...better to have a walkabout yourself before you haul your gear out there....