30 hour hike - anyone done it?

Closed Thread

30 hour hike - anyone done it?

I'm planning on doing a 78k / 30 hour charity hike in October. People tell me it will be incredibly tough. I think that I am relatively fit already and with three months training I'll be fine. Easier than running a marathon I would have thought.

Has anybody done anything similar? Can you share your experience?

Oxfam Trailwalker 2009 is a similar (if not more difficult) very popular hike here in Hong KOng in November...

probably lots of advice in their forum

78K in 30 hours isn't going to be particularly taxing and if you are already reasonably fit, it gives you plenty of time to train. I know many very average people and even adolescents that have done the Trailwalker which is longer in less than 30 hours. If you eat and hydrate properly and don't have any articular problems, it shouldn't be overly difficult.

Just like a marathon, the key is to build up the mileage, put in the distance and do several long hike including some in the dark.

*Any* excercise taking 30 hours will be particularly challenging, if only from the point of not being able to go to sleep. I've done the second half of trailwalker (support walker after a day at work) and whilst it was not a horrible experience, it wasn't a bundle of joy either.

But yeah, anyone with a reasonable degree of fitness and a good training regime should be able to do it.

Thanks all, for your responses.

I checked out the forum, timklip. Will be useful. A couple of posts are slightly worrying! Sure I'll be alright though.