Scuba-diving clubs

Closed Thread

Scuba-diving clubs

Hello

I am keen to dive in Hong Kong. I am already a certified PADI Open Water diver and would like to do day trips. I hear there are several clubs which organize day trips on the weekends and also some dive shops which sell such a "package" to divers. Any recommendations?

Thank you,
    Sally

Hi Sally

I'm a member of the Hong Kong Underwater Club (HKUC for short). You can check out their website here: Hong Kong Underwater Club
    The organize bi-weekly day trips from Sai Kung, usually on a Sunday. You go out from 9am to 5:30pm, two dives. Sometimes they organize one dive in the morning and then a BBQ in the afternoon.

South China Diving Club (sister club of HKUC) also organize dive trips but you must be a BSAC member or have intention to convert to BSAC qualifications. They are certainly more serious with diving whereas HKUC is more chilled-out and laid back.

There are other not-for-profit clubs but I don't know how good they are.

DivingHK also organize dive trips but they are a scuba-diving shop so the trips are definitely more expensive.

I hope this helps. Diving in HK isn't all that bad, really! And sometimes it's great to be out on a boat, away from the humdrum of HK city life.

i'v been on diving hk as a beginner and it was great fun, went out to the islands just off sai kung and it was quite clear, 2 dives and went down to about 10 meters and it was absoulty great.

http://www.divinghk.com/localtours_en.php

What's the typical cost of a two dive trip in HK (including gear rental and transportation)?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    What's the typical cost of a two dive trip in HK (including gear rental and transportation)?
    this is from divinghk

Original Price $670
    (Including 2 tanks, boat rental, belt, lunch & rental of basic diving gears*)
    Special Package Discount Offer Price per Coupon
    3 Coupons 15% OFF $570
    5 Coupons 20% OFF $536
    10 Coupons 25% OFF $457

* Mask & snorkel, wet suit, fins, regulator, BCD

HKUC charges for a day out on the boat:

$200 (as a registered member) - boat fees
    $60 - regulator
    $60 - BCD
    $30 - wetsuit
    $30 - mask & snorkel
    $120 - tanks
    $20 - weight belt
    =====
    Total: $490
    =====

Transportation really depends on the number of people sharing the van with you but in my experience it's about $120-$150 per person (return).

HKUC is a not-for-profit club, hence it is cheaper than divingHK and the other dive shops.