Looking for golfers and hikers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for golfers and hikers

Hi, I am looking for girls/women to go hiking with and play golf, mostly during the week as I am not working at the moment. I am 28 myself, German, female, active in all kinds of sports.

Hi I was wondering if you were still looking for female activity partners? I just learned how to golf a couple of months ago and I would like to keep learning/practicing but I don't know how accessible or expensive it is. It's only my second week here so I'd be happy to meet some friends!

Hi,
    Im the same thing. Interest in both golf + hiking. But I won't be at HK until End of march this year.
    If anyone is interest or know where it is, pls let me know. Thx

Id be interested in hiking, never really played golf so can't really help with that! Let me know if any plans are made!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by ICE-T:
    Interest in both golf + hiking.
    If anyone is interest or know where it is, pls let me know. Thx
    For the hiking, all the maintained trails are here: 郊野樂行 Enjoy Hiking

If you want an introduction to hiking in HK and want to meet some like-minded friends in an informal basis, try the hiking meetup group:
    Hong Kong Hiking Meetup Group (Hong Kong) - Meetup.com

We generally have one or two walks each Saturday and Sunday of varying difficulty.

It has to be said that next Saturday's hike would not be a good introduction! Serious, serious bush-whacking and scrambling!

Moreover, looking at the rest of the last month's hikes I would describe almost none of them as easy, and most as really quite hard. And some of the timings are very fast indeed (for example, 2-2.5 hours for the CAble Car Rescue Trail - AFCD suggests 4 hours, and I was very happy to have done it recently in 3. 2 hours is for seriously fit people only!)

Last edited by PDLM; 24-01-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Ha ha - yes - it is useful if the newbies READ the hike descriptions before coming along ... but we do have easier hikes, you just have to have a look through and find something rated about 2 to start with (or if you are unfit) and take it from there .....

The first hike I organised with Meetup unfortunately ended up with one guy being airlifted out due to heat exhaustion - scary as the leader of the hike and now I will refuse to take people who look underprepared (he did, he was but I didn't have the heart to tell him to go away after he came all the way to tuen mun!). Good news is that on the whole we take safety pretty seriously and certainly for the hikes I organise, Mr Movingin07 is the sweeper at the back making sure nobody has any problems.....

Well OK, but take this hike which is rated 2.25 and the description then tells you it is 99% bushwhacking (meaning, I assuming walking on ill defined tracks needing to use your arms to move foliage out of your way), for 3.5-4 hours. Looking at the map, all of this route is on paths described as "difficult, indistinct or seasonally overgrown" except for some of it which appears to be completely off path. From the pictures, some of it requires ropes to get up. 3.5 - 4 hours of that is definitely not for beginners - and yet it's rated 2.25/5!

From the rating notes: "Most our hikes are purposely scheduled in places with huge flight of steps." Is this some closet masochists society?

And "Otherwise you won’t enjoy the hike and worse still we might just leave you to rest and get going without you." If true that is downright irresponsible - no hiking leader worthy of the name would EVER leave someone behind out on a trail.

From the photos it seems to be very much a fit youngsters group (and some of the girls are very fit indeed ).

Last edited by PDLM; 24-01-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Ok well I'm throughly scared off of the hiking, that sounds very intense indeed! Plus, I forgot my machete in the states

Any word on golfing? I know that you can get lessons around but they're definitely out of my price range at $500+ for an hour or less! Is golfing just for the wealthy around here?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast