Like Tree2Likes

Desperate Road Biker on HK Island looking to ride

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Hi guys,

I am staying in HK until Friday 21 May before flying to London and would love to go for a road ride with someone while I am here anytime.

Would anyone be willing to take me out and also lend me a spare bike please. I only have my shoes, pedals, helmet and cycle clothes (my Cervelo is being shipped to UK!!)

A little about myself. My name is Andy Han, age 30 and I have just arrived in Hong Kong from Wellington, New Zealand and currently staying at North Point.

I am Malaysian Chinese (speak Cantonese & English) and I have been living in New Zealand for 17 years and have mountain biked for more than 15 years and road for more than 5 years.

I know it's a lot to ask for someone to take me out and lend me their bike. All I know is I would be happy to do the same for someone if the situation was the other way round.

Please help!!! It's killing me seeing all these hills around here and can't ride it!!!

Andy

Post your message on this group: sircycling : South Island Road Cycling

You'll have a better chance of finding someone with a decent spare road bike and there are people riding every day.

You could also try the bike stores(Bike World in Wanchai and Flying Ball in Cheung Sha Wan) and see if they'll rent you one but I wouldn't be too hopeful about that.

Otherwise, the clunkers out in Sha Tin but you won't enjoy those...

pipkin likes this.

You appear to be a mountain biker not a roadie, but I'll give some advice either way.

There is one shop in Tai Wai which does rent out useable road bikes although they are nothing fancy. If coming out of the station they are underneath the overpass on the far left (next to the lift).

SIR Cycling is a road bike group, for mountain biking there is a separate group which tends to head out to Lantau. www.hkmba.org. To use the mountain bike paths you need to get a permit which I understand to be a quick formality.

There is a bike ship in Mui Wo in Lantau (the Friendly Bike shop) which might also be able to rent you a decent mountain bike, and avoid the hassle of schlepping one over on the slow ferry.

Last edited by fth; 13-05-2010 at 08:01 PM.
    pipkin likes this.

Hi guys,

Thanks heaps for both your replies.

I am more of a roadie now than mountain biker. Next time I am passing by HK again, I will definitely bringing my bike over.

Will check out those shops you recommended, fth.

Cheers.