Best training frequency per week?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by richclow:
    Hypertrophy:
    6-12 reps, 3-6 sets per exercise, 67-85% of 1 rep max, 1-2 times week each muscle trained, 1-2 mins rest between sets.
    Training + rest + correct nutrition= hypertrophy
    Is that per excercise, or per muscle group?

My dated knowledge was to do ~3 different excecises per muscle group and 3-4 sets within each excercise. So 9-12 sets per muscle group.

I'm wondering if anything has changed, or are you writing this to be for someone who's completely and utterly new to excercise?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:

My dated knowledge was to do ~3 different excecises per muscle group and 3-4 sets within each excercise. So 9-12 sets per muscle group.

I'm wondering if anything has changed, or are you writing this to be for someone who's completely and utterly new to excercise?
    In a full body workout I wouldn't normally prescribe exercises that isolate muscles, in a split routine you may advise ~3 exercise per muscle group but full body normally is more beneficial with 'big exercises' that cover major muscle groups. There are tons of ways to add creativity and complexity as the individual fitness levels/strengths improve.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:

Per muscle group-for hypertrophy. You would do more per group for endurance. At high intensity 9-12 sets is too much but as I mentioned hypertrophy is not for beginners -nor is isolation.