Where can one Rollerblade / Skate in HK

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

The Lang Kwai Fong incident was horrific but the system the police imposed has made the area a nightmare to go into on any festival nights. I am sure there is a better way to do this. Perhaps an entry fee and quota for the number of people entering. As to skating on the streets I have only once been stopped by a policeman who suggested I should be skating on the crowded pavement rather than the street. I tried without success to explain that I would be traveling faster than most people on bicycles but he would not be swayed.

The problem with Hong Kong is that rules are made without a lot of thought. Did you know that officially you are not permitted to skate on cycle paths?

What is even worse is you cannot skate in parks. We must be one of the only cities in the world where you are actively discouraged from doing any physical exercise apart from Tai Chi in public recreational facilities.

If anyone is interested in skating for exercise, the inline hockey rink in Jordan is open for free skating every Friday from 6:00pm to 8:00pm free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    What do you suggest? Allowing a dozen people to get trampled to death every few years just to remind people that life's a bitch sometimes?
    Not at all, but how about doing something to actually limit the numbers of people walking through Lan Kwai Fong on nights such as Halloween, New Year etc ?

I was there when the incident happened and I've worked in Lan Kwai. On certain nights of the year the place fills up, not with people actually spending money, but with people coming to "look" - I'm not sure what the best solution is but the herding solution they employ is ridiculous. Not everyone wants to just enter at one end and be herded out the other. I suppose giving up a few nights out of our year so Joe Public can wander through Lan Kwai isnt that bad

I agree there should be some kind of voucher system for Lan Kwai to discourage people that are just there to look. But it would be a nightmare to implement and manage.

Anyway, back to the discussing skating :-)

I've been chased by security guards going through Pacific Place, Central Plaza and other places. Never had any issue with the Police whilst on my blades.

I would imagine the reason you can't skate on bike paths is because the interpretation on the rules is its a bike path therefore ONLY bikes must be allowed on it.... People here seem incapable of looking at a situation in anyway other than black or white and noone wants to take responsibility for (sensibly) bending the rules.

The skating rinks mentioned are tiny little things designed for kids.... and as you say no skating in any parks

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeT:
    The Lang Kwai Fong incident was horrific but the system the police imposed has made the area a nightmare to go into on any festival nights. I am sure there is a better way to do this. Perhaps an entry fee and quota for the number of people entering. As to skating on the streets I have only once been stopped by a policeman who suggested I should be skating on the crowded pavement rather than the street. I tried without success to explain that I would be traveling faster than most people on bicycles but he would not be swayed.

The problem with Hong Kong is that rules are made without a lot of thought. Did you know that officially you are not permitted to skate on cycle paths?

What is even worse is you cannot skate in parks. We must be one of the only cities in the world where you are actively discouraged from doing any physical exercise apart from Tai Chi in public recreational facilities.

If anyone is interested in skating for exercise, the inline hockey rink in Jordan is open for free skating every Friday from 6:00pm to 8:00pm free of charge.

I also felt some tickling to blade again
    rather the aggressive and street thing then...

so after what I read here I should go to mei foo for a ramp and skatepark
    And to Mong Kok for some pair of new blades?

Will check it out this weekend...

George - well said, you are right, we are living in the only city in the world where people are ban from doing any physical exercise in the park.

My husband and I had recently bought two pairs of roller skates from New Port Beach, we thought we could have a go at the harbour in Central like we did along the bay. I was searching for a HK skating group, then I saw your forum. This is very discouraging, well done Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by microbearings:
    here's my experience:

Victoria Park : too crowded, too short
    Happy Valley racecourse : technically illegal
    Bowen Road: the path that can be skated on is too short
    Discovery Bay: tried it once on a Saturday... not advisable, too much traffic (they have extra bus services during weekends). if you're skating along the main road, some of the slopes can be daunting.
    Tai Wai to Tai Po Market KCR stations: some portions can be bumpy, but generally OK. unless you fancy skating through pedestrians, cyclists, a busy traffic junction and occasional water hoses laid across the path, i suggest you consider beginning somewhere near the last bicycle rental shop, if you're skating in the direction from Tai Wai to Tai Po.

if anyone else has discovered other "green pastures" for skating in HK, do share!
    I can add nice, fresh experience around Hong Kong Disneyland. There's a park nearby the Park and the hotel. Take a left out of the oft-empty parking lot.
    Speaking of, I wonder if skating around the empty Disney property is allowed. It's very very smooth due to low pedestrian traffic.

Okay okay, I'm done teasing. But really, it is smooth out there. The park even has a lake that you can rent four-seater bikes to pedal around.

And it's on Lantau, so you can breathe.
    There's a huge 7-11 there as well, OR you can bring a picnic lunch because

YOU CAN SIT ON THE GRASS!!!

Hi! I realize this is a super old thread, but there's a revival of roller skating in HK! I love to street skate and skate pretty much everywhere.. Theres a community of skaters that meets through Madame Quad Skate Emporium in CWB. They do meet ups and street skates on the regular.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6