Like Tree1Likes

New Territories hike Monday 19th April

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Territories hike Monday 19th April

In response to popular demand (well, two people), for the second weekday hikers day I propose a trip to the North East New Territories next Monday, 19th April.

We will get the MTR/KCR to Fanling and the 56K minibus to Luk Keng, then walk along the shore of Starling Inlet (which is the Closed Area Boundary next to the Chinese border) to Kuk Po, overlooking the edge of Shenzhen. Then we will turn inland and climb about 200m up on the trail to Fan Shui Au, and then go down the other side to join the Lai Chi Wo Nature Trail. After looking at the various sights there we will then proceed via Sam A Tsuen and Sam A Chung (with a few ups and downs) to Wu Kau Tang, which is the end of the hike. From there we get the 20C minibus to Tai Mei Tuk where I and anyone who wishes to join me will get off for late lunch and cheap ($18/500ml) beer at Portofino; if you stay on the minibus it takes you back to Tai Po station. When we've had our fill of food and beer there are very frequent minibuses back to Tai Po.

The total walking distance is about 15-16km. The total climbing and descending is about 400m (that's equivalent to climbing from Central to the Peak and back down again). The first couple of kilometres, plus much of the Nature Trail are on made up paths; the rest is on well-marked dirt trails. After the first couple of kilometres there are NO EXITS from this walk - you either continue or go back. Do not sign up for this walk unless you are comfortable (and able to convince me!) that you are able to walk up and down hills for 5 hours.

Because we are using very limited frequency minibuses in areas where there are no passing taxis, I need to limit this group to me plus 7 other people; I'm holding 4 places for 100LL, JCinHK, Brace4impact, and ariel3112, so that leaves 3 other places (unless one of them cancels). First come first served.

To leave some slack for any problems arising we need to make a fairly early start: meet at Fanling MTR at 09:45 (prompt!) at the Fanling (Town Centre) exit sign-posted to the minibuses that leads onto a bridge (it should be obvious to you when you get there).

It takes about an hour to get to Fanling from Central. If you need help working out how to get to Fanling MTR and details of journey times then go here: MTR > Journey Planner Don't be late - the minibuses are not very frequent.

If all goes to plan then we will get the minibus leaving Wu Kau Tang at 3:15pm, which will get us to Tai Mei Tuk about 10 minutes later (and to Tai Po station around 4pm). If we are delayed (or decide to spend a lot of time looking around Lai Chi Wo) then the next minibus from Wu Kau Tang is not until 4:45pm, so the finish time could change significantly.

You should bring a small backpack with plenty of water or sports drink (Pocari, etc) - I suggest at least 2 litres - and some snacks to keep you going on the walk. Once we leave Fanling there is nowhere on the route where you can reliably buy any further supplies. You should wear very solid trainers or walking shoes/boots. Do NOT wear jeans (they are terrible to walk in if they get wet). Bring a change of shirt at least because you will get hot & sweaty (and possibly rained on). Bring a charged up Octopus card for the trains and buses, and money for food/beer if you plan to stay for that. If you're not sure about any of this then ask, either here or in PM.

Again, this walk takes us several kilometres away from any roads - there are no options if you get tired except go on or go back. You take part in this at your own risk.

Last edited by PDLM; 14-04-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Update - I now have 4 places open.

lai chi wo is pretty amazing place as well as extremely remote place in HK, luckily i did the lazy way by catching the ferry from sha tau kok pier

Which, as far as I know, requires a Boundary Area permit (which almost no expats are going to have).

Last edited by PDLM; 14-04-2010 at 05:47 PM.
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Boundary Area permit
    [pedant] Closed Area Permit [/pedant]
    Last edited by PDLM; 14-04-2010 at 06:18 PM.

OR you just climb up the hill and go around the boundary You then call it a "mystery hike".....

Yes, I read about that. A bit naughty I thought.

Yes, I read about that. A bit naughty I thought.
    It was fun though. And the vegetation was quite remarkable - very different to what you find in the other areas on account of the lack of human intervention - really pretty.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 14-04-2010 at 11:10 PM.

19 Apr Mon
    Sunny periods. Morning mist.
    20 - 25

How are we looking? I'm committed, even got some new shoes just for it.

Which, as far as I know, requires a Boundary Area permit (which almost no expats are going to have).
    yes, that is correct, however, there are a few expats with closed area permits as they based in Northern New Terroritories as I seen them going pass the restricted areas check points.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast