• 1 Post By apple&dog
  • 1 Post By PDLM
  • 1 Post By big_apple_ken
  • 1 Post By gilleshk
  • 1 Post By campas12

Amateur Social Golf in HK

Closed Thread

Amateur Social Golf in HK

Does anyone like to practise or play social golf?
    For ppl who does not have handicap yet..

I don't think there are any courses in Hong Kong where you can play without a handicap card.

Lisy likes this.

Oh my god..
    without handicap where can anyone play/practise golf in hk?

On the driving ranges, and in China (one day all inclusive package tours (ferry, course fees, caddy, etc) are about HK$1000 I think).

Lisy likes this.

yes, it is cheaper in China.

But you don't mind about $$$, you can try going to HK golf club on weekdays.

Lisy likes this.

The Deepwater Bay Course certainly requires a handicap card.

The Fanling one doesn't mention it, so perhaps you are right that visitors can play there without one. It will cost well over HK$2,000 for 18 holes though.

Anyone know for sure?

Lisy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I don't think there are any courses in Hong Kong where you can play without a handicap card.
    Actually not completely true. There is a 9 holes course called Nine Eagles (SKYCITY NINE EAGLES GOLF COURSE) near the airport you don't need a handicap card to play at. I play there quite a bit since it's relatively easy to get to via MTR or Airport Express (if you don't have a car) and it's super cheap for Amex platinum card holders ($100 for 9 holes). Even if you don't get my deal...they do promotions there for Tuesday or for night golf that I think are under $300 for 9 holes. The course is not that challenging per say (7 par 3s and 2 par 4s) but it scratches the itch.

I haven't played in Kau Sai Chau (HK's only true 'full' golf course) in a few years but honestly speaking...if I am going to KSC...I rather go play in China mainly because the courses are much nicer for that 'ball park' price range.
    Lisy likes this.

You can do as many of the locals do and have a made up handicap card from China. You can also play the South course at Kau Sai Chau if you are accompanied with someone that has a handicap card. You won't be disturbing too many people if you play there during weekdays. Just make sure you have lots of balls...

The courses in China are in a similar price range but will end up costing almost twice the price as it does in KSC because of transportation, visa, caddy etc... As to being nicer, that's debatable, the North and East course are in decent shape though the fairways are a bit thin at the moment and they are seeding the tee boxes. With the rain and warmer weather, it should be in great shape before the heavy rains come and you won't find a more scenic course than the East at KSC. Many people dislike playing there because it's a bit difficult, hilly and you tend to lose many balls if you're a low handicapper.

HK has several full golf courses(Fanling, Discovery Bay and Clearwate Bay) but they are expensive private clubs.

Lisy likes this.

the only option you really have is to do a china one- which may be a pain in the butt to be honest- the only time i really like to do china is if i have a friend who's a mandarin speaker go with me, AND we pay a premium for cross border taxi.

not sure what players actually think KSC is in bad condition compared to China courses....KSC EAST course is in way better condition than any china course i've been to- and it's a LOT cheaper/more convienient...and the south course is acceptable. iv'e not played the north course yet, but the conditions look better than south. the only drawback btn KSC and china is that the marshalls are nazi like, and you don't get caddies- though overall, i still prefer going to KSC.

breakdown of MY costs:

KSC weekend green fee incl cart (EAST course) and ferry tickets to/from sai kung - 880.

taxi from central to sai kung (discount)- 180 each way- travel time about 40mins + 20min ferry.

all in- split btn 4 ppl that 925 pp.

CHINA course- cheapest i've played at is 1200HKD- i've taken many ways up but the most convienient is a cross border 7 seater- 1800hkd, split 4 way= 450. 1650hkd ALL in- not to mention about 1.5-2hr travel time...one could make it cheaper...take MTR up to lok ma chau=- go through border, then find another cab on the other side- this would only add to the 1.5hr miinimum....

it's way easier to get a hcp card (there are ways) and play KSC...unless you can do a two day trip to nansha or something, going to china is way more expensive.

Last edited by campas12; 15-04-2010 at 10:31 AM.
    Lisy likes this.

Thank you so much for all your replies everyone..

These really helps alot.. =D