Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skyhook

Carlocator Website?

Closed Thread

Carlocator Website?

Has anyone ever heard of or used this service?

The Car Locator Hong Kong

Just curious as researching the car market hasn't been fun so far.

I've heard car dealerships are overpriced, 2nd hand dealers are rip-offs and they screw with the mileage, etc.

This sounded like a friendlier alternative, but I've not seen it mentioned anywhere.

what car u looking for

Personally I wouldn't buy a car from dealers, be they expat or local, as I am quite willing to source my own cars direct, based on my own mechanical knowledge.

Doing this will generally save between 30% - 50%, and 9/10 you have access to the service records if you have a preference for 1st registered owner cars. After that, the maintenance records, seem to magically disappear, likely the odometer has been hair cut, with no real way of proving what needed to be done, especially where close clearance heads apply and vital cam belt changes every 80,000km, if ignored, piston meeting open valves the result, pretty much bricking the motor.

Generally Andrew from the car locator is quite expensive, there are much cheaper alternatives around, he's like one of those fish that feed off sharks, most of the local car trade knows him, ie Tommy Siu of Vins, Vincent Chan, and so on, and so on... If lazy and willing to pay higher than local market rate, buy via this route.

The expat classifieds are generally good buying, as owners , generally provide service history from HP Cars or Sun Hing with a detailed compliment of maintenance receipts as to whats been done to the car.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, WTBhotia and myself are pretty knowledgeable, I have bought, sold, shipped abroad, over 20 cars since we lived here.

Last edited by Skyhook; 01-07-2010 at 04:26 PM.
    PackerFan likes this.

Thanks for the info.

I'm looking for a BMW X5, preferably 1 owner and fairly new, like 2008 and up.

It's just hard to see that I can get a brand new 2010 around $380K (HKD) back home and here a new one is $700K. Even the ads I've seen say 2008 for $538K.

It just hurts to pay $150K+ more for something used! I guess I need to stop comparing to the U.S. because all the import car taxes here, but how do I know what's market value? Is there a blue book site? I saw a Redbook site but I think it required a membership.

have a look through Car8 website
    Car8 translated
    http://www.car8.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PackerFan:
    It's just hard to see that I can get a brand new 2010 around $380K (HKD) back home and here a new one is $700K. Even the ads I've seen say 2008 for $538K.

It just hurts to pay $150K+ more for something used! I guess I need to stop comparing to the U.S. because all the import car taxes here, but how do I know what's market value? Is there a blue book site? I saw a Redbook site but I think it required a membership.
    Dont bother comparing to the US, like as you said HK has import tax and its 150%, its the Govts way of trying to keep the number of car owners down but thats not going to stop them

2008 X5 3.0 your looking at anywhere between 500K to 598K for a sports package
    2008 X5 4.4 your looking at 648K - 698K

I wouldnt bother buying one so new, most cars after 5 years old drop price very dramatically and are still in excellent condition.
    Last edited by wtbhotia; 05-07-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Dont bother comparing to the US, like as you said HK has import tax and its 150%, its the Govts way of trying to keep the number of car owners down but thats not going to stop them

2008 X5 3.0 your looking at anywhere between 500K to 598K for a sports package
    2008 X5 4.4 your looking at 648K - 698K

I wouldnt bother buying one so new, most cars after 5 years old drop price very dramatically and are still in excellent condition.
    That helps a lot actually.

What about negotiation %? When it comes to buying an apt, my realtor said if you go too low it can be an insult and they won't listen to you anymore.

I don't want to insult anyone.

If someone shows a price of 550K lets say for the 2008 X5 30.0, can I say $500K and hope to negotiate down to $520 or something is that low ball rate going to piss them off and refuse to negotiate any further?

I'm just not sure of the finer ways of negotiating.

I know when I was at Shenzhen in the street markets I was told to start at 70% off and don't move a lot off it, that worked pretty well...

Hey guys,

So I'm going to see this car tomorrow. What important questions should I be asking? And what's a good counter offer? is offering 480K too less? Is that insulting? Is $520K a final price a good deal?

Here is the ad:
    ==============================================
    BMW X5, Great Condition, Going Cheap
    BWM X5 3.0siA in metallic space grey with camel seats. 2,996 cc. Manufactured in 2008 and registered in April 08. I’m the only owner and bought this brand new from BWM as a second car. Unfortunately our kids love our other car so this car is seldom used and well cared (covered car park). Condition is very good, no accidents, bumps or scratches. Mileage is very low, 10.6K. Full options, including 3rd row seats so this car will take 7.

Great car to drive and superb handling but it is not getting enough use with us so I am letting it go regrettably. Cost $730K brand new but I am offering $560K for it. Vehicle license paid till April 2011. Recently serviced by BMW in April as part of warranty so as good as new.
    ==============================================

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Last edited by PackerFan; 17-07-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerFan:
    is offering 480K too less? Is that insulting? Is $520K a final price a good deal?Any suggestions are much appreciated!
    $480K is a bit low and you'll probably get laughed at if its as good as the ad says it is. i would probably start off at 500K and work up.