Like Tree21Likes

First parking ticket, confused about HK parking, anyone?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    So is there really any free onroad (side of the road) parking in Hong Kong island around Central / Wanchai / Causeway bay?
    No, not legally.
    Last edited by emx; 17-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Do what my wife does on the mainland, give her parking tickets to the provincial police chief to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    So is there really any free onroad (side of the road) parking in Hong Kong island around Central / Wanchai / Causeway bay?
    You might get ticketed 2-3 times per month if you park for extended periods in busy area so a lot of people risk it as it is cheaper than parking in an off-road car park.

Obviously most of cruise around the block hoping to get a empty meter bay as they are heavily subsidised to help us poor motorists.

Some streets could probably charge $10/10 mins at meters and they would still be full.

Cruising for Parking simulation
    Last edited by East_coast; 26-07-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emmie:
    A quickie post here, from HK Transport Dept's Road Users' Code under bit 'For All Drivers':

Transport Department - Where Not to Park

Transport Department - Where to Park
    That's a joke. Why don't they station officers outside the Hong Kong Club and just ticket ALL the people double-parked outside there? Or outside the Central Post Office in Connaught Place where there are ALWAYS people parked in the bus stop? It INFURIATES me that those people in fancy cars get away with this crap every single day.

Me too. But the rich are accustomed to getting away with it. Somebody must be directing the police to go easy on them.

Quote Originally Posted by bugak:
    As far as I understand, you can only park in HK if there is a sign saying you can park, or there are meters. If it doesn't say anything, then no, you can't park, regardless if there are no lines.

It's a bizarre logic and seems to be the reverse to parking in the UK.
    Why is it bizarre? HK is small and crowded, and cars are a choice, not a necessity, due to efficient public transport.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Why is it bizarre? HK is small and crowded, and cars are a choice, not a necessity, due to efficient public transport.
    I'm taking his post as being bizarre choice to positively sign rather than negatively sign when the rest of the world goes with negative signage. Keeping traffic rules the same around the world does have advantages when expats come and drive in a place! Otherwise I agree with you. Cars are a luxury here and public transport should get first dibs at the road space. People who park on bus stops should be shot at dawn.
    bookblogger likes this.

I had to hammer on the windows of a seven-seater a few weeks back which was parked at a green minibus stand, blocking two minibuses from getting there. A long queue of people were tutting and saying how uncivilised the driver was, but nobody did anything until I took action.

East_coast, HowardCoombs and emx like this.

I had to hammer on the windows of a seven-seater a few weeks back which was parked at a green minibus stand, blocking two minibuses from getting there. A long queue of people were tutting and saying how uncivilised the driver was, but nobody did anything until I took action.
    I used to take photographs of the license plates and email them to the complaints line. It never had any effect except that as soon as the driver noticed me taking his plate numbers he tended to move!

do you keep your hammer in your socks?