Like Tree8Likes

International Drivers License

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

aah ok - i thought "international" driving license meant that i can use it in other countries. i'll apply for UK license when i get there then.

tah!

Hong Kong is a "designated county" and therefore you can exchange your licence. Designated Countries are: Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe. The link you need is here:

Can you exchange your driving licence for one issued in Great Britain (GB)? : Directgov - Do it online

Can you exchange your driving licence for one issued in Great Britain (GB)?

You can only exchange your current driving licence for up to five years from when you become resident, provided your licence remains valid.

If your licence is lost or stolen you will need to obtain written confirmation of your driving licence from the issuing licensing authority to send with your application.

Motorcycle entitlement from the Republic of Korea or Faroe Islands is not exchangeable.
    What you need to do

complete the application form D1, available from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) form ordering service or from Post Office® branches

enclose original identity documentation confirming your identity

enclose one passport sized colour photograph

enclose the fee of £50.00, cheque or postal orders made payable to ‘DVLA, Swansea’

enclose your current driving licence (this will be returned to the issuing licensing authority)

send your completed application to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BT or you may be able to use the premium checking service

What happens next

your new driving licence will normally be issued within 15 working days from the day the DVLA receives your application

Funnily enough Americans have to actually take a driving test.......

Last edited by fth; 27-07-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    aava likes this.

The bit about them returning your HK licence to the HK authorities is interesting - I'm glad the HK authorities didn't do that with my UK one!

I personally like the fact that the UK authorities prefer Zimbabwean drivers to Americans.....

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    I personally like the fact that the UK authorities prefer Zimbabwean drivers to Americans.....
    That's probably because thy don't want anyone to drive on the wrong side and that's what the Americans think the British do.

Anyone know if I need International license to rent car in Spain?

If yes, can I apply for Itnl license in HK if I only hold a Singapore license?

You will need a valid Hong Kong drivers licence, and HK id card, to apply for an international drivers licence, issued from any HK department of transport branch.

If you want to apply for an international licence, using your Sing licence, you'll have to do it back in Singapore, or via an online method.

Last edited by Skyhook; 27-07-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    tcss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aava:
    so i can use my HK driving license in UK? i'm not going there for hol like you but to live.
    Yes. We've done it twice so far. Also NZ. No hassles.

EDIT - sorry - I missed the part about living. You can certainly use a HK license for a while if you relocate, but I suspect that the UK has the same rules as pretty much every other country I have lived in, which is, if you are a resident you are supposed to get a local licence. Hence I have a UK license, an Aussie licence, a NZ license, and HK licence ... all of which are actually valid!
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 27-07-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The bit about them returning your HK licence to the HK authorities is interesting - I'm glad the HK authorities didn't do that with my UK one!
    This is what happened to my husband when he moved to Aus to the UK many years ago - they took his tassie licence. The really, really dumb thing was, when we moved back to Aus, he had to retake the test to get a new licence!

The issue often isn't whether the HK license is valid or not it's whether they'll rent you a car with it. One thing that seems to annoy rental car company is the fact that there's no picture and no address on the license. Most of the time, it worked out but I ran into problems twice where the agency wouldn't rent the car. One time, I just went to another one so it wasn't a problem but the other time, I was stuck so now I always carry the IDL just in case.