Scooters/Motorcycles and licenses

Scooters/Motorcycles and licenses

Hello all,

I searched through the transport department's website, the link to which has been provided many times in similar threads. But I just can't seem to figure out if a US driver's license is enough to get a 2-wheeled vehicle license in HK. If so, would a standard US driver's license do or do I need one that specifically allows scooters/motorcycles?

I ask because I want to get a scooter in HK, and am wondering if I should get by bike license now while I'm still in the US.

Thanks

A standard drivers licence is not enough to get a 2 wheeled licence here. If you have a full bike licence then that's ok, you can just covert your licence to an HK one when you get here. Otherwise you will need to go for 2 tests before you can ride.

Once you have passed your tests here you will then need to ride fo a year on P plates and are restricted to 70kmh, cannot carry passengers, and you are not allowed to ride in the outside lane of expressways if there are 3 lanes or more.

Thanks Jaykay,

Are they pretty strict about not allowing you to ride double? That was the primary reason for my interest ... so I could take my wife around.

Submariner, yes, they are very strict, especially when you are placed under the probationary class (that's what the P stands for). Well, it's only for one year.

You can check out the courses from hong kong school of motoring. url here: http://www.hksm.com.hk/index_en.php

I got my license through them. Here's the thing though, I've heard that it's easier to get your bike license in the US because all you really have to do is go through a course. But in HK, we have to do two tests and one of which require "doing an 8" on the ramp.

Yeah, the reason I was asking is because it is indeed much easier in the US. Not even a course is necessary if you already have a regular driving license. You only need to take a written traffic test (you get 3 attempts) and then you get your motorbike license.

One more thing to add is that if you haven't had your bike licence for long you will not be able to trasfer it to a HK licence. You will need to sit the tests to ride here.

Really? Hmm.. that's another downer. Do you know how long they require you to have your license before becoming transferable?

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner:
    Yeah, the reason I was asking is because it is indeed much easier in the US. Not even a course is necessary if you already have a regular driving license. You only need to take a written traffic test (you get 3 attempts) and then you get your motorbike license.
    What state in the US requires only a written test for a motorcycle license? (a motorcycle license, not a scooter license) It may just be the scooter license. (so You may want to check which class of license is equivalent to what in HK...)

and if you are planning on riding in HK maybe you should consider taking a course in the US (even if its just a scooter, but definitely if you're planning on going anywhere near a motorcycle), it shouldn't be a matter of figuring out what the minimum legal requirements are, it should be about being properly trained to ride safely.

(take a look at the accident rates for two wheelers for people who have and haven't taken training courses and you'll see why I'm saying this).
    Last edited by krf; 29-08-2006 at 01:34 PM.

krf is definitely right though. rather than trying to look for shortcuts, you should be properly trained. and especially on the hong kong roads, drivers here are much more aggressive than north america. crazy double-deck bus drivers. crazy taxi drivers who can't drive at all. and really crazy minivan drivers who work the big van like it's a sports car. man oh man. lol.

anyways, you should be able to get more info here: http://www.td.gov.hk/public_services...nce_/index.htm

another thing is, you'll need a motorcycle license even for riding a scooter. (there's a distinction between the automatic and manual licenses, for both private cars and motorcycles). if you have an automatic license, you cannot drive a manual. unlike places like taiwan or macau, the license is required regardless of the scooter's horsepower.