Yet Another Motorcycle License question

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Yet Another Motorcycle License question

I'm considering getting a bike here and there's something I haven't seen stated explicitly either in this forum or on the Transportation department's websites about Motorcycle licenses...

I know there's a 12 month probation period for people passing the motorcycle license test here in HK (http://www.td.gov.hk/publications_an...00_uid_696.htm)

BUT, does this apply to people from overseas with a valid foreign motorcycle license? (who can transfer to a HK license without a test?)

It doesn't say anything about motorcycles in the 'overseas license holders' page:
    http://www.td.gov.hk/public_services...nce_/index.htm

So i'm curious if anyone's done this and knows for sure one way or another.

Also since I am only on a 12 month visa right now, it sounds like I could forgo the entire HK license and just use my foreign license and/or my international permit:

(c) Driving on strength of their valid overseas driving licence or international driving permit if they are visitors to Hong Kong (visitors mean that they arrive Hong Kong other than to take up residence for a period exceeding 12 months).
    Do you guys think this will work? Any trouble getting a bike registered or getting insurance w/o a HK license?

Thanks for any tips. The answer to this question is basically the difference between me getting a bike or not. I can't drive 55! (or 70kph for that matter).

hey KRF,

If you have an overseas licence that includes a FULL motorcycle group (not probationary) then all you have to do is go to the transport dept offices and pay about HK$950- (take along a couple of passport photos) and in about 25 to 30 mins you can get all the full classes of your overseas licence transfered to a full HK licence. As long as the overseas licence is from a country that is on the recognised list issued by HKSAR Gov. In which case you do NOT need to ride with "P" plates for the first 12 months and you can take pillion passangers straight away. The probationary period only comes in to play if you take your bike test in HK in which case you get 12 months of no passingers, no highways and the bike must have P plates.

If you still want to stay with your IDP I think they are only valid for three months from your date of arrival into HK (or any other country for that matter) and not really sure if any one will insure you if you do not have a HK licence. If you want to find out call an insurance broker. As for the IDP thing just call your local Cop Shop, I'm sure they would tell you how long you can ride on it.

Hope this helps.
    The Man.

Last edited by The Man; 03-09-2006 at 07:11 PM.

great.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Yeah I have a full California motorcycle license as well as a large size one from Japan too. So that shouldn't be a problem.

WRT the amount of time you can use the International Permit - I know in Japan you can drive on the international permit for 12 months from the date of issue of your govt. ID card...

As soon as I get my first pay check I'm going bike shopping! so far from the looks of ibike.com.hk, i won't have too much trouble finding something nice yet affordable...

I asked a similar question a few days ago and got a very different answer. I was told that even with a full US license, one can only get a provisional HK bike license for a period of a year.

Hi,
    As The Man said all I did was take in my full UK license and apply for a Hong Kong one, bit steep at $900 for only ten years. Several insurance companies wouldn't touch me with an international license or the quotes were a lot higher. 20 mins later I had shiny HK full license and no P plate worries. Do shop around as the insurnce quotes were wildly different I am paying $1800 third party only (GSX1300R) but the quotes went all the way up to $4k
    All of the bike shops here sell insurance and they turned out to be cheaper than brokers i got quotes from.

Gweilo

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo:
    Hi,
    As The Man said all I did was take in my full UK license and apply for a Hong Kong one, bit steep at $900 for only ten years. Several insurance companies wouldn't touch me with an international license or the quotes were a lot higher. 20 mins later I had shiny HK full license and no P plate worries. Do shop around as the insurnce quotes were wildly different I am paying $1800 third party only (GSX1300R) but the quotes went all the way up to $4k
    All of the bike shops here sell insurance and they turned out to be cheaper than brokers i got quotes from.
    OK, that sounds good. I'll probably end up getting one from a shop. $1800 is not bad, but since I was riding in Japan I've gotten used to smaller engines (250's!) so I'm guessing the insurance on that may even be less.

Thanks.

The Peak / Czech Republic/ 36,000 ft in the air

I Have a Question too
    Lets say (Hypothetically Speaking) I have a License from India, where you can drive a Motorbike when your 15 and I've had that license for almost 2 years now, Is it possible to Change it to a full or even a probationary License here?
    Thanks

Hi Guys,

Hey Gwilo, which insurance company did you get that deal from or which shop are u going through?
    Looking to insure a new set of wheels this month.

Ace of spades, Lets see now.... "Hypothetically Speaking", if you had an Indian licence with bike groups on it and you "Hypothetically" went to the Transport Deptarment, if India is on the approved list of recognised countries, you could pay your $900 bucks and transfer it to a HK licence..." Hyperthetically Speaking of course". However... not sure what the bike riding age is here in HK or how old you are but that would be the only thing that may catch you out.

krf, with your IDP I know that it is valid for one year from the date of issue by the issuing country but is some countries (ie USA) you can only drive on for 3 months from your arrival date. Also as Gwilo pointed out you could have a bita trouble getting insurance or have to splash out the $$$. Might want to check on this.

Regards All,
    The Man.

Hi The Man,
    The shop that does all my work and sorts out the insurance is Volto 31135904 owner Soong Wai To, speaks excellent english, just say the guy with the hayabusa recommended you and i'm sure he'll get a good deal for you.

Gweilo

the minimum driving age in HK is 18, for both motorcycles and private cars. Your insurance will be a little higher if you are under the age of 23.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast