Eastern Harbour tunnel seeks 40% rise

Closed Thread

17-09-2010

The operator of the Eastern Harbour Tunnel has applied to raise the toll fee by 40 percent next year. The change would mean the charge for private cars and taxis going up from HK$25 to HK$35. The deputy chairman of the Legislative Council's transport panel, Andrew Cheng, said the increase would make the Cross-Harbour Tunnel at Hung Hom even more congested. He said the government should consider buying back the tunnel.

If they can raise it that much why not?

CHT is way too cheapif heGov raised the fee for that then EHT & WHT would get more traffic.

Buy-back? Why should the average non-car owning taxpayer pay for the car owners?

For once I agree with you. CHT tolls will never rise while cartels are in charge so by raising EHT fees my travel will become even more stress free. I'm all in support.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Easy, raise the harbour tunnel to $35 each way. Problem solved.

As a person who rides the bus across the EHT almost everyday, I support the price hike. If it will actually reduce the traffic, the ride might be atleast 20-25 minutes shorter everyday for me! Now that would bite back when I took the occasional late-night taxi rides back home!

That said I agree with Virago. Fix the prices of all the three cross harbour tunnels equally..

Quote Originally Posted by PSMaverick:
    That said I agree with Virago. Fix the prices of all the three cross harbour tunnels equally..
    Who should pay for the reduction of the tolls in the East and West tunnels? Government suggests the CHT users should subsidise them.

The CHT is in the best location so would still be congested if the prices were the same.

Just less traffic at peak times would better.
    Last edited by East_coast; 28-09-2010 at 08:14 AM.

This has been suggested many times in past few years. The last time is was jumped on by the many commercial vehicle groups, bus operators and your usual bunch of whingers, taxi drivers. Of course government caved (as they have again with the idling engine legislation - which is beginning to look like a piece of paper with just a title and no substance).

It's quite simple, the government don't have the balls to do it.
    Posted via Mobile Device