Like Tree4Likes

Importing UK car to HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Importing UK car to HK

hi all,
    just to inform i been researching this a little bit and i found that MOST cases importing a UK car to HK is much less expensive than buying the same 2nd hand car here. There is a threshold of price though. If the price of the UK car is too high and you get into the 95% tax range, then it might be close but even so, its still usually less expensive than HK. Ofcourse there is the hassle of shipping but i found a guy in HK who helps in this...

just thought i'd share..im probably going to buy a car from UK and ship it here..will cost around 30% less than same 2nd hand here..

Quote Originally Posted by RobUSA:
    hi all,
    just to inform i been researching this a little bit and i found that MOST cases importing a UK car to HK is much less expensive than buying the same 2nd hand car here. There is a threshold of price though. If the price of the UK car is too high and you get into the 95% tax range, then it might be close but even so, its still usually less expensive than HK. Ofcourse there is the hassle of shipping but i found a guy in HK who helps in this...

just thought i'd share..im probably going to buy a car from UK and ship it here..will cost around 30% less than same 2nd hand here..
    So how much does it cost to ship a car here?

30% less after factoring in the first time registration tax in HK?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    30% less after factoring in the first time registration tax in HK?
    No I meant just the shipping. The 30% less is only going to work for more expensive second hand cars I'm guessing.

Don't forget things such as converting the speedo to red km and also the resale value of the car will plummet massively as not much demand for a UK sourced car.

And make sure the car has air con and is actually powerful enough to deal with the HK Heat as opposed to an asthmatic blowing through a straw which is the typical uk car power.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    So how much does it cost to ship a car here?
    the shipping is around $750-$1000 sterling! really not that bad!

'03 bmw m3

for example, im looking at an '03 bmw m3. all said and done shipped to HK, taxes...around $195,000.

same car here is asking $280-320k+ for this car.

this car is going to depreciate hardcore no matter what. its a niche car. so for me, i dont mind. i plan on having it as a nighttime or weekend car anyways...

Being an M3 might hold the value. And its all imported cars in HK, so dunno how being from UK will make a difference...

Remember it's a former English colony and we drive on the left (assuming the car is coming from the US and the opposite applies). I assume you will need a permit for this vehicle and if you want to sell it later it will be impossible so shipping it back will be the only option.

I live in Lam Tei, Tuen Mun. In the last few months I have seen several UK cars, still with their UK plates on appear in our village including a '56' plate M3 and a '56' plate Chrysler 300c. After a couple of weeks they have HK plates, then they disappear. Presumably these guys don't do it to lose money...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast