Costs of a car in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    deleteduser

Is that for regular 87 octane? Or for "premium"?

I quoted the regular gas for you as requested originally. I haven't paid much attention to premium, but I think it hangs around $15 to the litre.

deleteduser

Thanks. I should give you a negative point though

Negative point for?....

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    Negative point for?....
    Because gas is too expensive.. You were helpful, but I don't like the result.

Cost breakdown for me is:
    Road license = $7,600/yr, Home car parking = $1200/month, Tunnel fees approx $1000/month, Fuel $2000/month, other car parking $1000/month, maintenance $4000 - $8000/year. So costs can add up quickly. Oh and nearest you can realistically get to China border is Sheung Shui to park and get train to Lowu. There are other areas you can go to but thats the most realistic.

Sheung Shui is an option for sure, only use it if you require the Shenzhen Metro though as it is way more busy than the other crossings, and more expensive to cross.

Lok Ma Chau is a pretty good option. Parking is like $38 or so for 12 hours, $48 for 48 hours at most parkades and you walk 2-5 minutes to shuttle bus. Shuttle bus is $7 and takes two minutes to get to the border. Drawback is you need to take bus or cab. Soon the Metro will be there too though.

Third option is to get China plates for your car, but it is expensive to drive to/in China. Cheaper to park and bus/train over.

Well, i thought about the plates, but HK is right and China left hand drive. So i prefer to drive in HK.

Can anyone recommend a good dealer in HK for used Mercedes, BMW or Volkswagen (is it obvious now that i am german )? Or if i buy from private is there anything to pay more attention for? Imported car from ?? ... goes along with the humidity etc. ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1456M:
    Well, i thought about the plates, but HK is right and China left hand drive. So i prefer to drive in HK.

Can anyone recommend a good dealer in HK for used Mercedes, BMW or Volkswagen (is it obvious now that i am german )? Or if i buy from private is there anything to pay more attention for? Imported car from ?? ... goes along with the humidity etc. ?
    Actually Hong Kong is left and China is right hand drive. Just curious what difference does it make?

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    Drawback is you need to take bus or cab.

Third option is to get China plates for your car, but it is expensive to drive to/in China. Cheaper to park and bus/train over.
    Yeah and bus or cab can take 30 mins or so to get back into main city when traffic is piled up, that's why I always use Lowu crossing!

China plates are an option IF you are able to obtain them. To do this you would need a registered business and address in China and at least $350,000 for the plates.