Costs of a car in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Costs of a car in HK

Hi,

what are the general costs for a car in HK ( insurance, toll, etc) and do you think its worth to have one based on your experience?
    On my point of view the public transport systems is quite good, but waste of time sometimes for waiting. And what you can do in the MTR except listening MP3 or have a phone call, where you just get the half of it?

Martin

Worth it if you have a family / kids that need to be dropped of or taken around town.

If you have free parking in both place (home and work) then it *might* be worth it too.

Major costs

Annual Tax, Insurance, Maintenance, Parking (can cost around $7000 a month for two parking spaces @ home and work), Petrol

You can do more on the MTR than you can while you're presumably driving, like read a book... or even zone out and day dream.

Let me know where you live, work and like to visit in Hong Kong. I will break down all the costs for you. Generally if you have nothing to do with New Territories it will not be worth it for sure. Other wise not likely. But, let me know, if you are living in Central and working in Central than I hope you don't feel a car is needed.

deleteduser

How much does the yearly tax and insurance generally cost? Or does this vary by quite a bit?

I dont have a car at the mo but roughly what it can cost below

Road Tax about HKD7,500 per year
    Insurance aboutHKD6,000 WITHOUT NO CLAIMS DISCOUNT per year
    Car Parks about HKD 2,500 EACH per month
    Toll fees, petrol. AA, services etc 1,500 per month

old company used to payfor mine, so it didnt bother me . but I wouldnt pay for it myself lol

deleteduser

Wow it's actually quite cheap to own a car here then. In Canada, I would pay about $15,000 HKD per year for insurance (that's comprehensive, but includes a 45% discount). All other taxes are included in the price of gas, which before I moved here last year was just approaching $7 HKD per litre.

So it seems quite reasonable to own a car here, the only thing that is more expensive is the parking, and I guess the gas... But there is less distance to drive here, so you don't end up buying gas as much.

And damn, used cars are SO cheap here! Even looking at the Mercedes and other luxury cars listed in the Expat sites, it's cheap as hell to buy a used car! I think the price of a typical car here is about 50% that of Canada.. Buying, say, a 1999 Golf in Canada would cost around $70,000 HKD minimum + tax, but here I see one listed for half that.. It seems to be like this for all cars in the 8-10 year range.

Last edited by deleteduser; 12-05-2007 at 11:05 PM.

Hi,

thanks for all answers.

I plan to stay in Clearwater Bay( as i would have at least the illusion of clean air ;-) ) and often have to visit suppliers in Kwai Fong/Hing.
    Dont know yet, if there is an option to drive with the car to the border of china without big parking costs and then change the transportation.
    I surely wouldnt need a car staying and working in Central

Quote Originally Posted by 1456M:
    Hi,

thanks for all answers.

I plan to stay in Clearwater Bay( as i would have at least the illusion of clean air ;-) ) and often have to visit suppliers in Kwai Fong/Hing.
    Dont know yet, if there is an option to drive with the car to the border of china without big parking costs and then change the transportation.
    I surely wouldnt need a car staying and working in Central
    Car may be a good idea for you in this case. Clear Water Bay normally has free parking included with lease, and if not normally easy enough to find.

Insurance is actually pretty cheap. Can be as low as $3000 (and lower actually) Gas and tolls aren't too bad, gas prices sucks, but if you are doing normal everyday driving than it shouldn't be a problem.

Parking varies on location.I live in Mong Kok and parkades here are about $2100-$3000 monthly.But, out in the NT area some are as low as $800 or so monthly.

Kwai Chung where you plan to be working some may be around $1500 are maybe, but if you are not going all the time you may just use hourly parking.

So all in all I would say go for it. Way better than the long and frustrating public transport commute from Clear Water Bay to Kwai Chung.

deleteduser

How much is gas by the way? I am used to seeing huge signs with the price of regular unleaded gas (87 octane) at every station, but they don't seem to do that here..

Does anyone know how much it costs per litre of regular 87 octane gas in Hong Kong?

Aprox $13 per litre is the current rate. Lots of stations have promos. Like with Esso you get an extra so much gas with your fill up. Sinopec is like 10% of what you spend. So if you spend $500 on gas you get $550 worth.

Little promotions yes, but still not a bad thing considering gas is so expensive.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast