Cars in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cars in Hong Kong

Where is the best place to find a car online in Hong Kong, or to get ideas of costs?
    I don't mean the 85,000 dollar numbers- I'm talking the 20k and below ones which only mad expats seem to want!
    If you don't know any online places, physical places too!

Sai Kung town centre car park has a floor or two of mostly european cars that may fit your profile. No number but someone else may want to chip in.

I don't know about online, but physical places : any Wellcome or Park and Shop or Taste supermarket (especially around where expats live) have adverts from people selling their cars.

It's also a good place for second hand furniture and TVS.

Bugger- I was hoping my trawling round car lots and tyre kicking were over!

try car8.com but only if you can read canto.

I have been spinning through 28car.com so my canto navigation is getting better!

Sai Kung and CWB

I have purchased a car through the Sai Kung Carpark car agency and they were great. Tai Wo Hong Co. I think is the name and Jennifer was very helpful.

Try the notice boards at PnS and Wellcome at Clearwater bay, Hang Hau, Razor Hill (Pik Uk) and also Sai Kung. If you are out that way try checking out the notice board at Hebe Haven Yacht club in Pak Sha Wan as there seems to be a lot of ads up there as well.

Good luck

geoexpat.com has a classified section too that has good priced cars from time to time.

tip: buy the brands which depreciate the fastest here, like Opel, Renault, Ford. A few years back I bought a 1997 Opel Vectra 2.0L 16V auto for HK$18000, a great drive and lots of toys ( heated front seats , steering wheel controlled audio, sunroof, auto windows) the downside was that the aircon had problems almost every year. And there were many minor defects. But for the same size/class japanese car I would had to pay like HK$80000. The 2nd hand 2001 Ford Mondeo 2.0L look very nice, but they still cost around HK$35000. A few months back I traded in my old Opel for a new 2nd hand Opel Vectra. ( yeah I'm loyal to this brand) But this one costed HK$100000. But I did got HK$30000(which actually was HK$10000 worth) for my old one, I only got this price because I was trading it in for another.

Unfortunately they depreciate for a reason- you can buy a 7 year old Saab 9-5 for less than 20k which is well looked after but as soon as you have an issue that 20k will more than doubled in repairs.
    We wont be doing much driving in it so we can find a happy medium though.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast