Driving in Hk !!!!!!

Driving in Hk !!!!!!

Hey Guys, i think i've posted a thread like this before, but i lost its track, so here i am again with the same question.
    Next year i plan to move to Hk, and what i wanted to know is if my drivers license is valid in Hk...the reason why i ask this is because i have a Portuguese drivers license and here we drive on the right side of the road! So, if its recognized here in Hk, do i need any special document or paper here in Hk to actually drive here???

If you come as a visitor from most countries (including Portugal) you can drive using your existing licence provided that it is in English or Chinese. In practice this means that you need to get an International Driving Permit from your home country (how you get one of these varies country by country).

HOWEVER, if you are legally resident in Hong Kong then you should get a Hong Kong driving licence. Holding a Portuguese licence you can do this without any further tests. Details here: http://www.td.gov.hk/public_services...nce_/index.htm

(PS Go easy on the exclamation marks!)

If you have a HKID, most insurances won't insure you unless you have a HK drivers licence, and also you can't rent a car without it. You can exchange your portuguese drivers licence (provided you have an official english translation of it) at the Transport Department.

Last edited by ontheroad; 19-05-2007 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad
    If you have a HKID, most insurances won't insure you unless you have a HK drivers licence, and also you can't rent a car without it. You can exchange your portuguese drivers licence (provided you have an official english translation of it) at the Transport Department.
    I think insurance problems is the least of his worries if he has HKID. If he gets pulled over or in an accident with no HK licence. That could be rather tricky.

my understanding is: you can drive in HK on most international driving licences (check your local transport authority or the HK dep of transport web sites), but an International Driving Permit is recommended, ie it makes things less painful. The IDP costs very little, and is just an international medium for showing what vehicles you can drive and what restrictions you have on your licence. This will suffice as legal permission to drive in HK for under 12months stay. Over 12months you are expected to get your HK drivers licence. Whether you can hire or insure a car with an IDP is up to the hire/insurance company, i'd guess...

Why would you want to drive a car in HK? There is nowhere to go. From home to office take the shuttle bus and get some sleep. From the bar to home take a taxi and start getting busy whith whomever you picked up.

One day parking is more expensive that taking the bus for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate
    Why would you want to drive a car in HK? There is nowhere to go. From home to office take the shuttle bus and get some sleep. From the bar to home take a taxi and start getting busy whith whomever you picked up.

One day parking is more expensive that taking the bus for a week.
    Maybe some people like to picnic or check out deep Hong Kong where it takes 3 hours to get to on bus with the 20 bus changes required.

What about the folks that live in Clear Water Bay, Kam Tin, San Tin, Lantau, Yuen Long, and other areas that can be a little bit remote? Nice to have a car instead of waiting 20 minutes for the bus that takes an hour to get you somewhere closer to where you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger
    Maybe some people like to picnic or check out deep Hong Kong where it takes 3 hours to get to on bus with the 20 bus changes required.
    Well these are those who live there for many years. People who come here as freshmen most likely live in the city. And you don't need to change the bus 20 times. There is a bus from Central to Yuen Long, and at least one other from Admiralty to Tuen Mun, which covers the longest distances possible. And numerous others in between. For a picnic once a week you can hire a taxi.
    For deep Hong Kong take the KCR to University on Saturday or Sunday morning and then the Ferry to Tap Mun.

What about the folks that live in Clear Water Bay, Kam Tin, San Tin, Lantau, Yuen Long, and other areas that can be a little bit remote? Nice to have a car instead of waiting 20 minutes for the bus that takes an hour to get you somewhere closer to where you want to go.
    I lived in Discobay and Clearwater Bay before, now in Sai Kung. No need to have a car. The most time is spent in traffic jam and a car doesn't make you faster than a minibus.

From landing on Chek Lap Kok to Sai Kung Town I need two hours by public bus, including 1 change of busses in Shatin.
    Last edited by Expatriate; 23-05-2007 at 06:29 PM.

I lived in Discobay and Clearwater Bay before, now in Sai Kung. No need to have a car. The most time is spent in traffic jam and a car doesn't make you faster than a minibus.

From landing on Chek Lap Kok to Sai Kung Town I need two hours by public bus, including 1 change of busses in Shatin.
    Two hours from airport to Sai Kung by bus, 30-40 minutes by car.

If you worked at the airport and wanted to keep your place in Sai Kung would you really spend 4 hours daily commuting?

Quote Originally Posted by Boneco
    Hey Guys, i think i've posted a thread like this before, but i lost its track, so here i am again with the same question.
    Next year i plan to move to Hk, and what i wanted to know is if my drivers license is valid in Hk...the reason why i ask this is because i have a Portuguese drivers license and here we drive on the right side of the road! So, if its recognized here in Hk, do i need any special document or paper here in Hk to actually drive here???
    Ha Ha HKChigger lol

It takes me 18 minutes to drive to the Hong Kong Business Aviation Centre, which is on a regular basis.

What traffic jams ? Maybe on the Northern side of HK island, or as you enter the cross harbour tunnel etc, it certainly doesnt happen on my side of the New Territories. Driving is a breeze over here on all the arterial highways.