Like Tree29Likes

Sports cars and how they are regarded

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I was in Perth (Australia) a couple of weeks back and joined a Meetup hike there. Obviously, I had no way of getting to the hike given the lack of public transport to rural areas in WA, so I asked online if anyone could give me a lift. One kind fellow offered - a middle-aged maths professor from the local university.

He turned up in a brand new porsche. Turns out, this was his very first car - previously he'd been travelling by bus and bicycle but illness meant he needed a car a few weeks back. So, he went for a porsche.

And why not? The guy was delightful - completely anti-stereotypical of a sports car driver. And we had the hood down for a while too

Moral of the story: Not all sports car drivers are $ankers.

SiuMaiTaiTai and Watercooler like this.

I think the pinky waving drunkards are insecure / jealous or just trying to be fun/funny.
    The guy drives a fancy red car that the drunkards most likely cannot afford so I doubt he cares or is at least used to it ! I personally find those cars a tad repulsive myself.

Cars are much more expensive to buy and keep in HK given the taxes and registration fees, so naturally the assumption, fairly or not, is that you are a rich man to be driving a car in HK.

So to be honest, Satay, anyone who owns a HK car would be considered rich. Given the expense of car ownership, most people who can afford to buy a car here decide they might as well buy a nice one. That is why you see the so many Mercedes, BMWs and Audis on the road, more so then I used to see back home. A regular Mercedes C class or BMW 3 series would be consider a "corolla" in HK, a mass market "regular" car. While only the exotic car brands like Aston Martin or Lambo would be consider truly luxurious.

That may also be one reason why people complain about aggressive HK drivers. Elsewhere, you don't have to super-rich or be an asshole to drive a decent car, here you often have to. They want to show off their status symbol+put the other road users "in their place", by cutting off them or giving them the bird. Now I want to be clear, there are also many respectable and polite people driving a nice porsche 911 or BMW M3 in HK, but you have to get through alot of numbskulls in their heavily tuned civic or corolla first.

Last edited by Watercooler; 27-06-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I think a red ferrari with the roof down driving through the night district anywhere in the world will attract the same kind of attention that you witnessed. Nothing special here. Its obligatory to call the driver a wanker and stick your pinkie out. How can you not do that? You and Mr SS didnt do it too????
    Nah, we just had a good laugh! bdw - were you one of them??

@ ReverendJay - I know I seem all sweet, naive and innocent but I know what they were getting at

At the end of the day, just own and drive a car (or elect not to) you like. Don't let other people, drunk or otherwise, determine what you can and cannot buy. The important thing is just not to act like an ass once you own the car you want...

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Mat

Mr SS reads these forums. I think he's a banker type and therefore probably a little maniacal and cut-throat! He will hunt me down and tear me into little pieces!

Make tea, not war!

Sue him
    Satay Sue likes this.

It's ok - he seldom reads it

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendJay:
    Men with little, red sports cars are over-compensating for having a little, red something else. Hence waving little pinkies.
    How is the bus treating you?

Well it's a little hard to raise my legs to step up with what I'm packing

jayinhongkong likes this.

Seriously what other reasons do people buy expensive toys except to show off? Does a 30K handbag do a better job than a plastic bag? Does a Ferrari get you from point A to point B any better than a Corolla in urban traffic? Does a Rolex tell time better than a Timex? They are little flashing lights saying look at me, I have money whether in HK, NY, LA or London, there isn't a major difference...

Some look at it with envy and others sneer or laugh at it...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast