Like Tree4Likes

Best GPS software in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

lol, I just noticed my posts earlier on this thread!

Having used GPS in Australia and France, which works absolutely beautifully there, making driving in an unfamilar location an absolute dream. I cant say the same for Hong Kong, especially in area's that you need a GPS to navigate around; the many one way streets in Causeway bay/midlevels/Mongkok and TST, for example, where GPS just does not work due to the canyoning affect of tall buildings, that just block the signal at really inconvenient times causing you to miss vital exits.

Over time I have taught myself to remember my way around, and to date still have not bothered with GPS, preferring to glance at a street map remembering the street sequence before I hit the road, something I am used to, that works best for me here.

GPS works out in the NT though, so it will come in handy for day trips once you get out of the high density high rise cram of the city. These days I just work off memory after driving here for so many years, HK is a very small road network and doesnt take long to figure out.

Just hit the road and see where those roads lead, it will give you an excuse to take the new wheels out for a bit of a spin....

Enjoy..

Last edited by Skyhook; 14-09-2011 at 11:51 AM.
    East_coast likes this.

it will really only be for driving around the NT. When we need to come into town, we'll use public transport.

So hopefully both car lovers and car haters will invite me to their bbqs!

Most of the GPS for Hong Kong use old map from 2008, many road missing or traffic way change.

More than the software is the hardware than is important Iphone 3GS GPS reception was pretty crappy and all the GPS apps i tried were getting lost in Kowloon or Hong Kong island but fine in the new territory.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    it will really only be for driving around the NT. When we need to come into town, we'll use public transport.

So hopefully both car lovers and car haters will invite me to their bbqs!
    You've bought a v8 bmw and you're embarrassed to tell us?

Quote Originally Posted by Green93:
    The best in my opinion is Map King.
    Used Map king years ago but there doesn't seem to be any recent software updates.

I'm happy to invite anyone to a BBQ provided they are willing to pick me up, drive me there, start the fire, bring the food to cook, and cook it.

I'm nice like that.

EC - do you mean map quest?

JJ - seems entirely reasonable. Shouldn't you expect to be driven home, too?

As an update, I downloaded Sygic yesterday. It works really quite well. For fifteen pounds, it is a decent purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    As an update, I downloaded Sygic yesterday. It works really quite well. For fifteen pounds, it is a decent purchase.
    Are there paid and free versions of Sygic?

I have just downloaded and there was no sign of a paid version!