Like Tree4Likes

Best GPS software in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by OdessaHK:
    Using Sygic on my iPhone 4 - it working great till you come intro Central and Wan Chai area, then you are lost, too many high rise buildings and it just loosing your exactly location, so if you don't know the way and you are new in road - you going to be lost. I always lost to found way to Cross Harbour tonnel.
    the most easy interface for iPhone so far is Sygic, i try another one, all of them have same problems when you are in central.

if everyone have same even they use GPS stand alone device with papago or something similar ?
    Same for all GPS systems including stand alone such as Papago, Tom Tom, Garmin.

Agree with Jaykay, in the built up area's of Hong Kong, GPS gear just doesn't work reliably enough for use in car. I use Sygic for turn by turn GPS info out here in the NT, Lantau, etc and it has worked faultlessly.

If I am on HK island and on foot, I find that Google maps works generally well enough to get by, although it doesn't accurately find your actual position, a bit flaky but good enough to to find streets from, using your known street location as a reference.
    Name:  DSCF1202-lo-res.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  371.3 KB

But overall, have to say that Sygic GPS software matched with the Sammy G II, works a treat in every other regard, where it isn't canyoned by high rise buildings ( which blocks the satellite signal in narrow HKG streets, of course.

It works fine in city's where the streets are wider, had no issues in Paris or Melbourne in the CBD or outer periphery.

Last edited by Skyhook; 10-02-2012 at 01:11 PM.

now that Tomtom has launched its traffic service in hong kong http://corporate.tomtom.com/released...leaseID=937236
    to the current tomtom users, how good is the actual traffic service?

I have it all the online services active on my TomTom but nothing seems to work. No speed cameras or traffic. So far not impressed!

dumbdonkey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    I have it all the online services active on my TomTom but nothing seems to work. No speed cameras or traffic. So far not impressed!
    are google maps still the way to go for traffic?

i dont need navigation.

Yes. I'd stick with google maps. Tomtom is a decent GPS (nice screen, quick to find signal etc) but the maps are out of date and the online services are patchy at best.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4