Like Tree6Likes

Differences btw drving in HK and US

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

+ 1 on street view but be careful with using Google direction. We were newbies driving through Central and the directions omitted a crucial left turn (definitely, we re-traced another time out of curiosity), Mr SS was driving, I was "navigating". There was nearly a murder!

street view can sometimes suggest impossible routes too.. but it is handy for working out routes -

also you will find the insurance situation here different - excesses are pretty large in all vehicles and hire cars.. I tried once and it totally put me off.

I'm not sure if its any more dangerous here than other places - I dont think people drive that quickly here - but they sure like to tail gate!!!

so true on roundabouts ( heard in some US states they are on the rise ) be prepared to be cut up on roundabouts!!!!

and parking? OMG! Cara's right - fulltime job and expensive - by the time you've found all the best (and cheapest) places to park it's probably going to be the end of your vacation....

depends how long you here for but a Taxi is quite often cheaper and more convenient unless you going to be doing lots and lots of long distance.. ( or have kids? prams etc )

I think driving in HK is actually quite safe and easy. Most foreigners automatically thinks it's madness out there, but not really. I ride a big motorbike to work almost everyday. The general rule I play by is: assume that people can't see you, and be aware of the vehicles around you and your position. Stay away from people's blind spots, especially minibuses and taxi's and old trucks. Basic rules that applies on any road in any country I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTIONDESIGNER™:
    *use common sense*
    +1 on this, always assume that the other person is going to do something idiotic, and you won't be as surprised when they do.

*cough* check out the motorcycle riders group. We're trying to gather people for group rides *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by pacman@SF:
    Hi,
    I was born and raised in HK but my family moved to US when I was in Middle School, so I learned how to drive and did all of my driving in the state. I have no idea what is like to drive in HK, beside the obvious [like oppsite direction of traffic and no right(left in HK) on red]. I am planning to visit HK very soon and want to drive once i get back. I am kinda nervous about driving in HK, because my mom been telling me how dangerous to drive in HK. I admit as a young driver living in two big cities (SF and LA), I do drive kinda aggressive (sometimes I have to), so i just want to stay away from the tickets and accidents when I drive in hk. I was trying to look up things like driver's handbook or trafic codes, but no lucks so far. I am wondering if anyone can help me out and tell me what I should pay attention to when it comes to driving in HK. Thanks

WHY on earth would you want to drive here? There is no need at all to drive and often it can be faster not to. If you're not here long, just get an Octopus and get on the bus/MTR or catch a cab. Simple.

i guess people forget it is fun to drive tho! I was here for i guess 13 years without wheels and I thought I'd never have them, but I hired a car in macau and that was great - getting lost and just exploring!

Decided to get some wheels when I moved out of central, about 3 years ago.

all that stuff about cars vs taxi- taxi are better for when I need 4 wheels in my opinion , but a motorbike wins hands down, there is NO traffic jam!!! park pretty much where u like for free ( yes yes I just had my first ticket in 3 years,, )

cheaper by a mile!

i didnt fully appreciate how small HK is until I got a motorbike, and now I have seen waaay more as I whilst I suffered MTR and taxi - you just dont go exploring in a cab no matter how good my cantonese is....

and MTR always seems like a punishment to me - strangers gawking and yelling at each other - people unable to walk in a straight line and/ or blocking escalators - why do they stop to chat at the top or bottom of escalator? grrrrr!

Motorbike FTW. Raining today, and public transport took me close to 2 hours to get to work. Last night I rode home in 25 minutes.....big difference.

The only reason I didn't get a car here was because of the lack of parking, and insane garage prices.

Never driven in HK... and driving in LA was most fun (think 405 everyday). considering I learned how to ride a bike in India and a car in US I think both HK and US are very organized traffic.....:P

I do think driving here is not that much different from any major city in the world. The mini-buses are the biggest problem to me.
    Re organised traffic, I wouldn't drive in Manila (witnessed red lights being completely ignored by jeepneys), Bali with all the swarming scooters, or Ho Chi Minh City - just mayhem!