Like Tree14Likes

Wanting to Buy a car in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    drive to sai kung a few car lots on the side of the road.
    Yes, occupying bus stops and the public pavement...

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:

Username: Skyhook if I am not mistaken has exported cars to Aust or has experience, send him a PM.
    Just out of interest and compared the price of cars in UK and HK. Around same milage etc

Its way more expensive here!

Is it possible to import a used UK car to HK or is there a tax that makes it prohibitively expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Considering buying one too (for the weekend drives) - no usage week day.

Don't want to splash so i'm fine with one that is close to or over 10 years old.

Any thing/brand/dealers in particular to avoid?
    I suggest Toyota Corolla or Mazda 323, should get a good one for under 15000.

IMO avoid Opel/Ford/BMW/Merc, etc. Stick to Japanese and avoid Hondas and Mitsubishis that may have been used by boy racers....obviously MPVs are probably okay..Make sure the a/c works!

There's a few small time dealers who sell on here and particularly asiaexpat, they are usually pretty good as they work on quick turnover rather than cleaning up, clocking, etc.

It's worth watching the classifieds regularly as some amazing bargains come up from time to time when expats leave things too late...

Quote Originally Posted by smeegheed:
    Just out of interest and compared the price of cars in UK and HK. Around same milage etc

Its way more expensive here!

Is it possible to import a used UK car to HK or is there a tax that makes it prohibitively expensive?
    Yes, there most certainly is.. It can make sense on some high value cars but you wouldn't import a 6 year old Mondeo for example!

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Yes, there most certainly is.. It can make sense on some high value cars but you wouldn't import a 6 year old Mondeo for example!
    Just to add though, one anomaly is the price of used vans here, (incredibly high compared to UK) - if I was at a loose end I think there's something there..

One more question for the folks who know about the tax - I think it's first registration tax, would the valuation be based on the receipt from the country of origin or a local valuation?

I suggest Toyota Corolla or Mazda 323, should get a good one for under 15000.

IMO avoid Opel/Ford/BMW/Merc, etc. Stick to Japanese and avoid Hondas and Mitsubishis that may have been used by boy racers....obviously MPVs are probably okay..Make sure the a/c works!

There's a few small time dealers who sell on here and particularly asiaexpat, they are usually pretty good as they work on quick turnover rather than cleaning up, clocking, etc.

It's worth watching the classifieds regularly as some amazing bargains come up from time to time when expats leave things too late...
    thanks, saw a nice 206CC on groexpat classified for 25k.

i know the brand well but wonder if good idea in hk?

One more question for the folks who know about the tax - I think it's first registration tax, would the valuation be based on the receipt from the country of origin or a local valuation?
    Based on invoice and shipping, unless you've owned the car for over 6 months in the original country.

Slightly different for dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    thanks, saw a nice 206CC on groexpat classified for 25k.

i know the brand well but wonder if good idea in hk?
    I would stay clear because parts will be a nightmare, but hold out for other opinions..

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    PS get ready for the Anti-CAR member's to start coming on this thread and give you grief on why you shouldn't buy a car, public transport is good, you're going to clog up the roads, polluting the air, you know the usual stuff will be said. Just a heads up LOL
    Yup by getting a car, you are part of the problem! Go adopt a mutt instead!
    HowardCoombs and luckycat like this.