Like Tree2Likes

Converting Driving License

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Converting Driving License

hi

Can anyone share how long does it take to convert your driving license so that you can drive in Hong Kong? Is it done thue the immigration department as well?

many thanks,

No, it's done through the Transport Department. Why would it be done through Immigration?

Details here: http://www.td.gov.hk/public_services...nce_/index.htm

Assuming you have a licence from a country that can be converted without a test then all you need do is apply, then go back two weeks later with $900 and the HK licence is yours.

Thanks PDLM!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    No, it's done through the Transport Department. Why would it be done through Immigration?

Details here: http://www.td.gov.hk/public_services...nce_/index.htm

Assuming you have a licence from a country that can be converted without a test then all you need do is apply, then go back two weeks later with $900 and the HK licence is yours.

Yep as PDLM said. I just had this done last month.

One tip though - when you go there - make sure you take with you photocopies of your passport, hong kong id and drivers licence from your home country (front and back of the drivers licence).

You also need to have the originals with you - but they need the photocopies to attach to the application. I (and many others) had to run around looking for a photocopier!

It does say originals and photocopies on the form, but it's easy to over look.

if i recall correctly, i got mine in about 2 days.

It takes 1 week.

My memory was obviously playing tricks on me. The form does indeed say "5 working days are normally required for the processing the application".

yep...just downloaded the form. gng to do it asap

cheers!

I thought it was 2 weeks when I did mine too. But I just checked my hubby's form (he submitted the documents on 27th June - and the form says he can go back between 5th July - 6th August to collect it). So it is 1 week.

what kind of check is done on the original license?

I'm afraid it will only be a matter of weeks until my french license is invalidated after more than one too many speedchecks but I will still get to keep the paper. Torn up and taped back in one piece after years of carrying it around.

Could I go to HK traffic department with my old license after I move there and get a HK driving license?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast