Used Cars

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Used Cars

Why are all the cars in HK really nice? And why are used cars so cheap? I have always driven a beater with 150000+ kms. it seems hard to find anything that old here, based on the (admittedly expat-focussed) websites and classified ads. Not that im dying to drive a crappy car, but am concerned that there is some regulation that puts "old" cars out of commission. Does anyone have any insight? If I buy a 10yo car, will I have to retire it soon after I buy it? do i essentially give up any hope of resale value?

Thanks in advance.

No regulation that puts them out of circulation.

Cars older than 7 years need to be inspected annually before the license is renewed. The inspection can be handled by a local garage who will bring the car upto spec (brakes / rubber joints / emission and a few more tests).

People in HK usually change cars every 2-3 years and very rarely will people drive anything over 10 years old. I think its got to do local mentaliity that anything over 10 years old will break easily and you will have to spend a lot of money to fix it and it will keep on breaking down. I drive a 1998 vehicle which has done over 100 K Km but its been kept in very good shape and looks very new. If i tried to sell it to a local they would run away as soon as they saw the year of manufacture. Haahaa. Only expats would be intrested in buying it.

i got a car too

hi there

i brought a volvo 850 turbo and its a 1995 model, its in good condition and only done 65000km, and i got it very cheap and i am very happpy about this vechile, i want to keep it for ever

any car fans out there, i want to meet and chat, yes all hk cars are so clean i am amazed

The reason most cars are so clean is that most people who own cars also have a DH who cleans it for them every morning

He He, real men wash their own cars, its all part of "normal" car ownership, it also allows you to see if tyres are o.k, or brake pad depth as you wash the wheels, its a bit of a responsible thing to do.
    Its great that our new apartment complex actually has the first free resident car washing bay that I have ever seen, usually washing your car on the apartment grounds is banned, but they have a designated area for us.

Washing ones own car, gives a sense of past normality to ones life, a joy to some, a menial task to others.

Serious car enthusiasts enjoy washing, detailing and waxing their car, its a pride thing, plus I prefer soapy water to wash the duco instead of window cleaner or kitchen bench cleaner like so many DH I saw at our old car park wash cars with, amonia does wonders in ruining clear coats in the long run.....

Last edited by Skyhook; 27-07-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Agreed, HK people change car all the time just like fashion. I am happy with my car so far and never think to change it! But sometimes want a convertible one when the weather is fine.

Insurance also starts going up when a car is 10 years old. I have a 3 litre V6 which is 8 years old and is less to insure than a 2 litre 4 cylinder Golf that is 11 years old- go figure!

Hi All,
    Anyone owned/driving a Mazda Premacy before?

How do you like or dislike it?

Thank you.

Someone in our family has a Premacy. After having driven a Volvo S40, I personally find it rather flimsy to drive ... perhaps its just being used to having a 3 ton door that makes a particular sound when you close it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast