Like Tree16Likes

Taxi Trivia

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I quite like the JDM spec taxi, I dont " like " the HK versions much, at all, heightened irritation by the smell of plasticiser & stale cigarette odours.
    I quite "like" the price of the HK's in Hong Kong vs Tokyo
    Dreadnought likes this.

Something I always wanted to know, whats their engine size?

2.0L (pad, pad, pad)

From what I recall, Toyota Crowns were designed to be taxis & police cars in Japan, and steadily got popular in other markets as well as they were easy to maintain and cheap to run.

Toyota Crowns used to be the standard in Singapore as well, however in the last couple of years the main taxi company (Comfort) started upgrading to Hyundai Sonatas which cost more to maintain but are much more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    Something I always wanted to know, whats their engine size?
    They come in 2L, 2.4L, 3L & 4L variants, I'm guessing the HK taxis are 2.0L.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    2.0L (pad, pad, pad)
    is that the hongkongfoot driving style... gas on gas off luiuuuuurch!!!! gas on gas off luiuuuuuuuurch!

I never got whiplash just gettin a cab til I got here.......
    dear giant likes this.

Yes the good old HK gas on/gas off style of driving! They must learn that in taxi school.

Instructor: No!!! That's too smooth! You've got to stamp on the pedal... show it who's boss! Then release it suddenly and without warning. Then repeat. Same with the breaks, don't squeeze them, snap them down... Again... Again...

Same driving style in Singapore, maybe even more ubiquitous there. I used to think it had to be an engine problem but was in the front seat not so long ago and could see his foot flapping on and off the accelerator. Why, why, why?

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    Yes the good old HK gas on/gas off style of driving! They must learn that in taxi school.

Instructor: No!!! That's too smooth! You've got to stamp on the pedal... show it who's boss! Then release it suddenly and without warning. Then repeat. Same with the breaks, don't squeeze them, snap them down... Again... Again...
    Worst one I had like this was in New York, a driver who spoke less English that a Shenzhen taxi, could hardly see over the steering wheel and was on and off the pedal like a madman. Jerky enough in a HK taxi with it's puny engine, try it in a Ford Crown Vic V8....
    dear giant likes this.

I've heard there's a thriving black market for licences. Might explain how where some of them got on the road.