Like Tree21Likes

alleged hit and run incident - standard letter?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

alleged hit and run incident - standard letter?

i was going thru the cross harbour tunnel on my m'bike

and at the point of 3 lanes into 1 it got quite tight and (i think this is the one ) a car pulled up very tightly next to me.. ( actually 1 on each side )

and when I pulled away i *may* have touched his car with my knee..

i didnt think anything of it as actually I'm not even sure it happened!

anyways 30 min later in my meeting I get a phone call

its the police - alleging I have done a hit and run..

they asked me to come to the station - which I did as soon as I was out of my meeting -

when I got there the P.O. examined my bike and could see no damage..

I asked about the other car and he said he had examined it - and there was no damage either

( which makes sense - as I dont think I did hit anything )

they asked me to produce insurance etc - which I did..

now a week later I just got a letter saying they are considering prosecute me for careless driving/ hit and run..

They didnt even take a statement from me!!

am I over reacting? or should I find a lawyer?

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    anyways 30 min later in my meeting I get a phone call

its the police - alleging I have done a hit and run..
    How did they get your number? Do you need to give a number when you register your car?

it says at the top letter of 'notice of intended prosecution' then a list of offences ( causing death etc ). and then somewhere it says they may not actually institute proceeding.

just a bit shocked cos the p o said oh the guy was just calling it in becos I might,

and he was quite friendly - and dismissive about it - becos he couldn't see any damage on the other vehicle ...

they didnt even ask for a staement - so how can they prosecute?

I didn't even know there had a 'collision '

ps whaddya mean a lot of run in's ???

Quote Originally Posted by big_panda:
    How did they get your number? Do you need to give a number when you register your car?
    I think it's when u pay your annual road licence fee - they ask for proof of address and a phone number...

good job really- Cos my vehicle had zero damage and surely thats some kind of evidence ? as well as there vehicle having no damage...

I'm actually asking myself.. did it happen?
    Last edited by audiot; 24-11-2011 at 08:37 PM.

If there is no damage how can they prosecute? This is like the other story from another Geoexpat member recently. How can they prove anything happened?

I m actually askin myself - were they undercover cops.. ?I mean that's pretty speedy service right?

The notice of intention to prosecute often precedes a ticket for a minor offence... it's possibly just a $320 fine case, but it might be something more serious.

This is going to be a pain in the ass, and cost money, but get a lawyer. Remember you are choosing a lawyer, so ask how may traffic cases the lawyer has handled recently. Beware of one who mainly just processes divorce & property transactions.

Police rely on psychological bullying techniques on both the guilty and innocent alike.
    I am sure he was "quite friendly - and dismissive about it".... this is one of the approaches they use to get information from people. They give you the impression if you just answer a few questions, all the problems will go away. A good lawyer will prevent them from taking advantage of you.

by the way, Just as policemen keep a notebook of their observations, you should write down everything that happened, and any of the dismissive comments made by the policeman. because what he said can be used in evidence FOR YOU, or by your lawyer in negotiations.

Good Luck

Last edited by justlooking; 01-12-2011 at 08:31 AM.

If it went to court, how could they prove anything at all? No damage to either vehicle and no police present at the time and very probably no other witnesses... So just the other driver's word against yours. Plus if there is camera footage, I seriously doubt it could zoom in to give the conclusive details of a very minor collision at the level of your knee and the car, especially with all the traffic around you.

Don't worry, but do get some legal advice and the other chap is correct, the 'dismissive' policeman is a psychological tactic to interrogate you effectively.

Who knows what will happen with this. You say there is no physical damage on either side so what are they going to prosecute you for? Hurting their feelings?
    Whilst you may ultimately end up with little more than a warning on this ocassion I would want to tie up this loose end so that it may not come back to bite me in the future. For instance what if one day there is another more serious allegation of negligent driving made against you. Would they be able to cite this current "hit and run" report against you to show that you are a serial offender? don know how it works but would be investigating how to expunge this ridiculous report or at least counter it by putting your oown factual statements on the record as well. Not to mention others have alluded to people making bogus claims of injuries etc caused by road incidents so hopefully this isnt a scam for money.

Last edited by Loz_2; 01-12-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    dear giant and Satay Sue like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast