importing a replica ford shelby cobra

Closed Thread
    AffordLifestyle

importing a replica ford shelby cobra

Hi, does anybody have aany experience importing a replica classic or knows of a company that can do it for a reasonable price? Are therehuge headaches to attempting such an activity in HK?

Thx in advance

Try sending a private message to carbrokerhk; he may be able to help you.

The Peak / Czech Republic/ 36,000 ft in the air

I recommend you do everything by yourself rather than through a agent, I'm currently in the process of Importing my Motorcycle. First of all, the car has to be in RHD hk does not allow LHD cars under any circumstance. next you have to get a letter of noise and pollution exemption if your car does not meet the EU III standards(?) and the letter can only be given to cars that are 20 years or older (Engine no and chassis no must match the RC book) - Do the MOT in one of the centres
    Then you need to pay the first registration tax based on the cost of your Car (You need a bill of sale) your insurance and your shipping cost, for which you first have to go to the customs and exercise dept in North Point and then to the TD in Admiralty.
    And finally you can have the car on he road, as for shipping I'd recommend you use a local shipper in the country your vehicle is in. Depending on where, you could be looking at 2-3K USD for shipping in a container, although RO-RO may be cheaper but more hazardous to the car.

Just to clarify the above.

LHD will not be accepted for private cars. There are exceptions for other types of vehicles.

Exemptions from noise and emissions are applicable if: car is over 20 years old, the car has been owned for at least 6 months in country of origin and you have been resident there for 6 months in past 2 years or the car is less than 12 months old and has a valid Euro CoC or Japanese equivalent. All other cars must go through a noise and emissions test in Tsing Yi or To Kwa Wan.

Cars must go through a road worthiness test for which there is only one test centre in HK, To Kwa Wan.

Customs and Excise valuation application must be submitted within 30 days if a private import, 14 days if dealer import either in person at North Point or submitted via the Internet.

If you ship from UK a 20ft container is approx £650 or just over US$1,000. Choose shipper carefully. The worst will just strap a car in a container, others will have wheel blocks as well.

As for the car itself there are quite a few manufacturers of replicas all offering different engine combinations. There are several factors to consider including engine, seatbelts and current registration status to name a few.

AffordLifestyle

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. I see why some may choose to use a broker if they have no time to go out during office hours to get all the approvals.

If I am interpreting this correctly, it sounds to me like this:

If I want to buy a replica car, it won't be over 20 yrs old, not even close. And if it's a huge horse power car, it may not even pass any of those tests for emissions/noise. But I need to first buy the car and ship it here to get all the tests done! So if it fails, I'm screwed?

Doesn't sound like a fun process. I assume the chances of passing are far greater if I get a recent model, at least it will likely pass emissions. I am only interested in huge horse power muscle cars. Would these even stand a chance at passing the noise test?

But I swear I saw a recent model (orange?) Mustang in one of the small streets of North Point one morning, so there must be a way!

Thanks guys.

I saw a red corvette on Hollywood road late 90's today, so there must be a way also.

There's a guy who owns an Ultima GTR in Hong Kong (check YouTube, Google, etc.), but if you look closely at some of the pics, it is clear that he's using T-plates, so it's probably not otherwise registered. That may be because it is not possible to register such a vehicle in HK?

any luck get your classic replica approved ? think about doing the same. any experience you can share? thx

Your biggest headache is you have no VIN for your replica ie you have no sensible manufacturer chassis number or identification. So you will have an uphill battle getting it registered in Hong Kong. If it's LHd you'll need it converted and you'll need it engineer certified that the conversion was done to a standard that the transport dept is happy with. This will probably involve it being shipped to a country with certifiers such as NZ or Oz.

If you find an engineer that can certify it here to a standard and with paperwork the transport dept is happy with let me know.....

On the plus side in the US legislation is about to be passed allowing low production vehicle producers such as factory five to get a VIN but they don't sell RHD versions of their cars.

And to get a Rhd version made of the factory five the transport dept in Oz wants chassis design drawings and specs which factory five have invested a lot of money in and rightfully won't share.