Like Tree9Likes

Second hand Car Dealer in SaiKung

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

once the warranty is over its your problem plain and simple, if you have the money they will fix it for you, this goes for any products, be it LCD tv's, mobile phones etc etc.

What a numpty, how the hell do you drive only 90km in a year, i drove nearly 250Km just over the weekend FFS.

Skyhook, audiot, carang and 1 others like this.

Thank you very much for all your responses. However, I would like to clarify some points - 1) We were out of HK for 6 months, when we were not in HK, we have someone to switch on the engine on a regular basis, just to make sure the engine runs ok and battery is working. Plus, we are just a weekend driver. Therefore, we only drove that little.

2) We know the car is already 18 years old, however, when he sold us the car, he didn't mentioned anything like OH, the car is freaking 18years old, therefore, you will get a lot of problems. The fact is he is a great seller. He just keep telling you - Oh, the car is beautiful, the body is gorgeous, the engine is perfect, what my lovely baby... blablabla..

Since his words were all polished, we do believe the car has no major problem like overheating. Of course, we know there will be some minor problems. We are aware of that. Just we can't believe after he fixed the car, we drove 2 times only. The car had the same problem again. We bought it to our garage, the mechanic believed it wasn't fixed probably.

3) The fine. Let presume he didn't know the fine in the first place. However, I emailed him and told him about this issue... How can he not realised after I told him??
    Why not just admitted that instead of ignoring it? The address that we got the fine was the address of his garage. So, why wouldn't he know about it? HK$3xx is nothing. Its just about the Principle..

If you guys think I am being silly to complain about this fact, then we just have different principle in life. You made a mistake, just simply tell people what you did. Its not a big deal but when you hide and ignore the fact that you made a mistake, then it's a problem!

4) Warranty. Even the warranty is expired. However, the fact is he didn't fixed the car probably during the warranty time. So, it doesn't matter within/without the warranty. Because the car has hidden problem. I don't know any thing about car, so it means I deserve all these trust related issue.

So, it's exactly the same as Lehman Brothers issue. All these elderly deserve to this disaster because we should blame them have no knowledge about it. They trust the bank and believe what they told them, therefore, they deserve all these?

My post is just share my experience with you. Just to remind you not to follow my steps. If you don't agree with me, it's ok. No need to shift the blame on me! Thanks.

TheBrit, Titus and nirmal like this.

on the contrary on my past post about my dealer/agent, it's actually taken for the worse, seriously bad, I will tell at later date once it's been resolved... sorry, i can not give details until it's been resolved

Even without the name still being in post #2 (read down...), how many used car dealers in Sai Kung, owned by expat former policemen who speak fluent Chinese could there be?

I can understand the OP's frustration, but I doubt there's a good legal remedy for him/her at this point. Naming and shaming is probably about it.

A note in SK magazine says that the owner of that business died on 26 March and that the business will be revived under a new name and management.

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    A note in SK magazine says that the owner of that business died on 26 March and that the business will be revived under a new name and management.
    RIP, even though I didn't know the guy and a bit late to chime in to the topic I don't 100% agree with the OP... driving it less than 90kms a year is actually BAD for an old car; when you let the car sit there (even if you turn it on once in a while to keep the batteries charged) doesn't get all the lubrication systems lubed up like one does if its a daily driver. A lot of old cars are fine if they've been driven daily for the last 10 years but as soon as it stops, oxidation kicks in. Especially in the humidity and proximity to the ocean in Saikung old cars will go down hill pretty quickly if you don't drive it. The cooling system will calcify and the water pump age quicker if left to sit.

Now if the OP said they did maintenance on the car regardless of how many kms they used it, that would be a different issue. A lot of people forget that it's 5000km OR 3 MONTHS whichever's earlier. Just because it's only been driven 90kms over 1 year doesn't mean the car is in tip top shape if it's never had its oil changed once. Coolant should be flushed every year IMO and water pump should've been replaced at year 10 even if it's still working. At 18 years old I'd look at the radiator as well; probably got bent fins and crap stuck in there that decreased the cooling efficiency when it was sparkling new... and get that replaced. Try to get a hold of a bottle of "Water wetter" made by Redline (or there's other brands calling it different names) that basically decreases the surface tension of water in your coolant to make heat transfer easier in the radiator. I used it on all my cars before and always noticed a difference in the temperature gauge even at idle.

About the parking ticket, yes agreed that's a bit shifty...

I just moved to the SK area for 6 months and looking to bring my 7 year old Accord to one of the shops in SK in the coming months for brake pads and greasing of all joints (again living by the sea, preventative maintenance pays dividends). So it's sad to hear one of the owners have passed away.
    Last edited by Titus; 13-05-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus:

So it's sad to hear one of the Sai Kung car yard owners have passed away.
    Yeah it was a bit sad, he was quite a colourful character, very much a part of the Sai Kung retail landscape for 3, or so decades.

He was always good to shoot the shit with and the last of the 'old school' expat car dealers.

Good to see a few new up and coming gweilo owned car yards open up in the area since, which in my opinion is good for the Sai Kung expat car buying community. Providing a bit of diversity and via competition a marked improvement in professionalism.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 29-06-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    .. driving it less than 90kms a year is actually BAD for an old car
    Driving little, or just short distance is bad for ANY car. I bought a 2nd car a few years ago and the previous owner almost never used. It did ran OK, but the tires desintegrated - large areas simply were falling off while driving.

I am thinking about using Evans, waterless coolant in my E class wagon, once the system has been purged and an agent has been flushed through to leach all water based coolant from the system. I like the idea of this very high temperature rated waterless coolant, as it has a boiling point of 180 degrees C, and doesn't present any pressurisation issues that can create hotspots etc. It's pricy stuff, but considering the non corrosive chemical properties and the fact that it removes pressure from the entire cooling system, it makes sense to me.

What do you guys think ?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I am thinking about using Evans, waterless coolant in my E class wagon, once the system has been purged and an agent has been flushed through to leach all water based coolant from the system. I like the idea of this very high temperature rated waterless coolant, as it has a boiling point of 180 degrees C, and doesn't present any pressurisation issues that can create hotspots etc. It's pricy stuff, but considering the non corrosive chemical properties and the fact that it removes pressure from the entire cooling system, it makes sense to me.

What do you guys think ?

Interesting... they got Jay endorsing it lol
    Is it on sale from a HK dealer or you ordering from overseas?

I've been going to HP Cars this month to get my 4th hand 10 year old allroad in shape and Stewart there is a fantastic guy.