Like Tree18Likes

How to own a car in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

alright people, please help me the following question.

is it true you need a HK ID card to get insurance, anyone here got one without it before?

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    well, since everyone gets puzzled with the guy's intention.. i think i can guess (since i do have such thoughts at times).

he probably sent by his company here for short 4 months from his native singapore.
    in singapore, a Z350 would hit you in excess of 1.5m HKD (new) and likely 800~900k preowned (3-5years?). so singaporeans tend to have fascination to own 'sexy cars' at cheaper price when they are overseas. the relative cost compared to singapore ownership (which includes 250~350% import tax) is very low so even a 3mth ownership can be a relative cheap experience.

talk to me when u are going back and rushing to sell the car in 3.5 mths.
    He/she is a student which is why he/she is getting so much grief!

He/she is a dickhead, which is why he/she is getting so much grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    He/she is a student which is why he/she is getting so much grief!
    I get your point, sounds like another rich spoiled brat. But assuming I'm a devil's advocate for a moment, what exactly is so wrong for a student wanting to drive fast cars? Do I detect some envy here among the posters? Heck, I had such dreams back when I was in college. It's not a crime to drive a nice car when one is a student. It won't win the OP any popularity contest on geoexpat, that's for sure, but it's not illegal either. Being young and driving a nice car does not automatically means he is a spoil rich kid that drives around dangerously. Of course, statistically, that's the exception rather than the rule. So it's up to the OP to prove that wrong.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 01-03-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    keyanddoor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    well, since everyone gets puzzled with the guy's intention.. i think i can guess (since i do have such thoughts at times).

he probably sent by his company here for short 4 months from his native singapore.
    in singapore, a Z350 would hit you in excess of 1.5m HKD (new) and likely 800~900k preowned (3-5years?). so singaporeans tend to have fascination to own 'sexy cars' at cheaper price when they are overseas. the relative cost compared to singapore ownership (which includes 250~350% import tax) is very low so even a 3mth ownership can be a relative cheap experience.

talk to me when u are going back and rushing to sell the car in 3.5 mths.
    no, you are way off..

not only is this guy a student, but he is expecting his parents to foot the bill for his "student lifestyle"... you know, when you live off mac & cheese burning the midnight oil studying.... you know, when you live 6 people to a flat to cut down on costs... you know, when you save your lunch money so you can buy an extra beer on friday night..

oh, wait.... that's what real students do.

this guy wants to buy a luxury sports car, so he doesn't have to wait for 5 minutes for a bus.

this guy wants to live in a hotel because he can't imagine having to do his own laundry or clean his own room...

this guys is THAT kind of student.

oh yeah... he wants to do all that stuff on his parents' dime!

Quote Originally Posted by keyanddoor:
    alright people, please help me the following question.

is it true you need a HK ID card to get insurance, anyone here got one without it before?
    I already told you.....me.

I think it was Kwiksure.

a student who wants to buy a sports car and live in hotels, IS a spoiled rich kid who needs to be taught was real-life is like.

i would have absolutely no issues whatsoever if this was someone who was paying their own way. this is definitely NOT that situation.

and again, it isn't really his fault. the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    no, you are way off..

not only is this guy a student, but he is expecting his parents to foot the bill for his "student lifestyle"... you know, when you live off mac & cheese burning the midnight oil studying.... you know, when you live 6 people to a flat to cut down on costs... you know, when you save your lunch money so you can buy an extra beer on friday night..

oh, wait.... that's what real students do.

this guy wants to buy a luxury sports car, so he doesn't have to wait for 5 minutes for a bus.

this guy wants to live in a hotel because he can't imagine having to do his own laundry or clean his own room...

this guys is THAT kind of student.

oh yeah... he wants to do all that stuff on his parents' dime!
    Life ain't fair carang. Some are born richer than others. Some are born with a silver spoon in their mouth and don't have to work a day in their lives (i.e. Prince Charles). Get used to it. Otherwise, how could someone like Henry Tang becomes the next CE?
    Last edited by Watercooler; 01-03-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Just to add, I was a teacher in my late thirties buying a people mover.....might make me a lower risk than a young man who's a student buying a sportscar.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    a student who wants to buy a sports car and live in hotels, IS a spoiled rich kid who needs to be taught was real-life is like.

i would have absolutely no issues whatsoever if this was someone who was paying their own way. this is definitely NOT that situation.

and again, it isn't really his fault. the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the parents.
    Yes, and there are countless others like him. That's life. Rather than resent the fact that you don't have rich parents like the OP, deal with it.

Besides, those with poorer upbringing often are the ones that have greater success in life later on. People like Warren Buffet, Richard Branson or Steve Jobs weren't born super-rich but became so on their own.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 01-03-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast