Like Tree1Likes

registration tax for electric cars?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

registration tax for electric cars?

Does anyone know how much is the first registration tax and the subsequent renewals for an electrical car? (I just renewed my 3.6liter and the fee was almost HK$10k!

I'm trying to figure out if the amount you save from buying an electrical - gas, license renewal, first registration tax - more than offsets the initial cost premium.

Yes, but would it offset the culture shock that must come from going electric after driving a 3.6l car....

Seriously, I'm always amazed at members like this.....joined March 2006 and made 9 posts? What, do you have a life or something?

Why Electric Cars Aren’t Selling - Hong Kong - WSJ

The government has waived the first registration tax for electric vehicles until March 2014 to further promote the use of electric cars. For Hong Kong’s most popular electric vehicle, the Mitsubishi i-MiEV—a small four-door hatchback available for 395,000 Hong Kong dollars (US$50,700) —the tax waiver saves consumers HK$85,000, according to William Lee, senior marketing officer at Universal Cars Ltd., the Mitsubishi distributor in Hong Kong. Mr. Lee says he expects to sell between 30 and 50 i-MiEVs this year.
    Zip.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Yes, but would it offset the culture shock that must come from going electric after driving a 3.6l car....
    I'm thinking Tesla Roadster...almost as fast as my current 3.6L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    ....Seriously, I'm always amazed at members like this.....joined March 2006 and made 9 posts? What, do you have a life or something?
    Nope, not a life...but have two small girls who take up any spare time I have!

Quote Originally Posted by SirFlopALot:
    Does anyone know how much is the first registration tax and the subsequent renewals for an electrical car? (I just renewed my 3.6liter and the fee was almost HK$10k!
    First registration tax is zero for pure EVs in Hong Kong.

Yearly license is a couple hundred bucks at most. They can't charge by cylinder size, so they charge by weight, and that is relatively tiny.

The only extra is the expressway permit, which is still required and costs somewhere around HK$150/year. They will probably drop that requirements sometimes during 2012.

Overall, taxes are zero initially and about HK$300/year.

I'm trying to figure out if the amount you save from buying an electrical - gas, license renewal, first registration tax - more than offsets the initial cost premium.
    I drive about 10,000Km a year in my Tesla, and the electricity cost for the first year has been around HK$2,500.

I'm thinking Tesla Roadster...almost as fast as my current 3.6L turbo
    Faster than a Porsche, greener than a Prius.

Give Jessie/Kenneth a call at Tesla and get them to arrange a test drive - tell them markwj sent you and they'll know to expect trouble ;-) They'll bring the car to you, and whether you choose the car or not, you will have fun.

It is a small community of Tesla owners here in Hong Kong, and we hang out at Tesla Club Hong Kong and Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum.
    SirFlopALot likes this.

Thanks for the info Mark...it's tempting me...I'm almost afraid to call Jessie or Kenneth as there might be no turning back!

Quote Originally Posted by markwj:
    ....Give Jessie/Kenneth a call at Tesla and get them to arrange a test drive - tell them markwj sent you and they'll know to expect trouble ;-) They'll bring the car to you, and whether you choose the car or not, you will have fun.

It is a small community of Tesla owners here in Hong Kong, and we hang out at Tesla Club Hong Kong and Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum.

Hi Mark,

What kind of range do you get with your Tesla? I'm thinking of packing in my 355 ($1,000 petrol/week), but have lingering concerns over getting stranded somewhere with a dead battery.

Cheers - Brad

I love the Teslas....any photos to share?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by BGW:
    Hi Mark,

What kind of range do you get with your Tesla? I'm thinking of packing in my 355 ($1,000 petrol/week), but have lingering concerns over getting stranded somewhere with a dead battery.

Cheers - Brad
    In Hong Kong, Tesla Roadsters seem to get around 350km range, in range (the full battery available) mode. Nissan Leafs around 160km.

Last summer, about a dozen Tesla Roadsters did a rally driving all the way round HK (island, airport, up west around tai po, east through ma on Shan and Sai Kung, tseung Kwan oh, then finishing in tsimshatsui). We covered about 200km and used about 1/2 the battery capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    I love the Teslas....any photos to share?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum is the place to go for Tesla enthusiasts. We also have an owners club in Hong Kong at Tesla Club Hong Kong.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast