Like Tree22Likes

Cost to own a small car in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Pal, that's why in my original post I said that parking isn't expensive, but you have to pay to park virtually everywhere. Fuck me, are you actually going to try and make an argument out of whether or not Hong Kong has expensive parking or not?
    Satay Sue likes this.

Just looking, the Congestion charge is 120 odd HKD per day now! That could add up a bit...

Original Post Deleted
    We don't even know where the OP plans to live do we? I think that's why I gave the monthly range price range I did in my earlier post, did you read my first posts?
    Last edited by bryant.english; 26-03-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Calm down, calm down....

We are not sure where to live it, but if we started factoring in a small car (I've seen some HK car agent sites list them as 'K-cars'), then we can live a bit more in the sticks, where properties will have a lot of free parking outside/nearby like Sai Kung. Even the place I looked at before (mentioned in another thread), Muk Min Ha Tsuen will have parking outside.

I doubt we'll be using it for commuting to and from work, maybe the odd pickup, so no parking. It'll mainly be used for weekend day trips with the dog, and the odd supermarket run.

When I was looking at village houses around Wu Kai Sha/Sai Sha Road I was told the parking was included in the rent, for the village I've chosen however it's apparently 700 a month. Curious whats the norm for village parking, anyone know?

it depends on the village. in our village, we all have free parking, but there is one landlord that tries to charge most newcomers rent for their parking. so far, only one person has paid him. he's a harmless old man, who thinks he owns the entire village. in other villages, however, you may have a more ummm... sinister element and the folks collecting the rent for the parking could be triads, in which case, i would likely pay up without further ado.

Calm down, The Brit was just momentarily worried that there might be something going on that he couldn't find a way to be unhappy about and you know how upset he gets if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi3:
    When I was looking at village houses around Wu Kai Sha/Sai Sha Road I was told the parking was included in the rent, for the village I've chosen however it's apparently 700 a month. Curious whats the norm for village parking, anyone know?
    5-7 hundred seems about normal.

My advice - suck it up. It's often illegal and the car-parks are often on government land but it's how it works and you have to do it.

In my village the parking is free. Most people in my village are outsiders and I heard that years ago they all walked on the village triads and told them they're no longer paying to park.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    In my village the parking is free. Most people in my village are outsiders and I heard that years ago they all walked on the village triads and told them they're no longer paying to park.
    Dude this is wild, no wonder you live there!!! Revolution in Tuen Mun!!!

I'd love to have seen it....when I lived in Lam Tei I had to pay and it pissed me off no end..

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast