Like Tree22Likes

Cost to own a small car in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    Oh, yeah, typical Prius driver: accounting for every conceivable expense down to the last penny--except for the not insignificant cost of the damn car!

(Loved the South Park episode...)

Not so, stooge..

My Prius is still worth $20,000HKD more than what I paid for it, 2 years ago. I didn't buy it new, so there goes your theory, farktard....!

Plus being Australian, after 12 months ownership I can ship the car back to Aus like I usually do, and will make a tidy profit on it, like I have always done.

So I have considered all aspects. Car ownsership actually makes me a profit . I'll make a tidy profit on both our cars later this year, especially on the Benz E320 AV 7 seater Wagon which are as rare as rocking horse poo back in Aus .

But nice attempt at being a stooge/troll/wombat/farktard/window licker etc, I don't mind ...
    Last edited by Skyhook; 28-03-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Ah Skyhook is back and ready to kick some serious ASS!!!

bryant.english likes this.

Although they both cannot go as a personal import anymore. Only 1 every 5 years in Oz now. So being an Oz citizen won't make a difference for both cars.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Oh - and for the record - taxis can get further into the park than private cars so you'd STILL need to get one for the final portion of your hypothetical journey anyway. Including any wait Carang mentioned.

I think you have your taxi costs WAY off. I can get to Pak Tam Chung in Sai Kung Country park for less than HKD300 and I live in the GOLD COAST which is, pretty much, as far away from Sai Kung as it's possible to get! (and yes, we actually do this trip regularly because MrMin trains for OTW out there). Believe me, if you actually want to explore Sai Kung Country Park - what you need is neither a car nor a taxi, but your FEET. And, for the record, parking in the park is diabolical.
    MIN07! It doesn't matter if your taxi fares are right! 600HKD to get to Sai Kung and back!

It does if the OP lives somewhere more central than GC

Buy a motorbike

I spend 10K a month on my car because I can. Wahey!!!!!!!!

So you used the GC to SK example why?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Not so, stooge...
    (Apparently you don't watch South Park?).

You're not denying that there was a capital outlay required in order to purchase the car, but you did not factor that cost into the calculations you shared on this thread earlier, which, unfortunately renders them somewhat meaningless. I would agree that there are certainly some situations in which automobile purchases combined with regulatory arbitrage can also be good investments--and if you've found one, good on ya--but there is little chance of that being of much use to many Hong Kong expats considering whether to purchase a small car for use in HK--especially if you neglect to mention the salient details (which seem to get better with each telling ).
    bookblogger likes this.

As I mentioned earlier, if we plan on getting a small car, we'd look at flats more in the sticks.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6