Working on your own car in HK - DIY mechanic

Closed Thread

Working on your own car in HK - DIY mechanic

Hi There

What do people who like to work on their own cars do in HK? I mean things like changing oil and brake pads and maybe some suspension work. Not taking the engine out.

Looking at the places that most people park I am thinking that perhaps there are rules governing this sort of activity.

Many thanks for any advice.

Berni

Depends where you park your car at home I guess.

Most people just let the local mechanic handle this messy stuff, as they have the proper tools, jacks and hoists for this type of stuff.

Hi

In the UK you can work on your car in the street. Here in HK I do not know for sure but I think that probably it is not allowed. Most of the parking looks to be in dedicated car parks. Getting the tools and a Jack is no problem.

Plus I enjoy working on the car and take a lot more care than your average garage guy to whom time is money.

Berni

Unless you actually own your car parking space it maybe tough, even then you have building bylaws to jump through in most cases.

There is not many cars on HK roads that you need to work on, most cars here are less than 5 years old. It is just not worth keeping older cars on the road here.

Welcome to Hong Kong: Home of the DIY-averse!

Seriously, coming from the 'States to the UK, I thought that was bad, but here is unbelievable. Okay, there is the small matter of virtually nobody having a garage (WTF is a "car park" anyway?), but surely if there were any demand for rental facilities or clubs to allow people to get their hands dirty on the weekends, then a way would be found. I don't know about the locals, but it seems to me that expats move here and immediately cleanse their minds of such common thoughts...

I wish i could do my own work on my bike, but most of the "car parks" (aka, parking garage/structures) wont let you work there. I dont have my own garage or driveway, so.....kinda screwed there.

It annoys the crap out of me to have to take my bike in for something as simple as an oil change.