Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wtbhotia

Price for a drivers license? Plus a car

Closed Thread

Price for a drivers license? Plus a car

Hey I was wondering how long and how much it would take to get a drivers license here in HK, and if there were any good and reliable places here that sold second hand cars? Budget for car: approximately $20000-30000

Where are you from and do you already hold any driver's license?

Well I've been living in HK pretty much all my life and no I don't hold any drivers license-I also just turned 19 and I've got like no experience in this field whatsoever-I'm a total newbie so I just wanted to know the basics of getting a license

2 ways to do this,

1. go to the transport department and apply for a driving test, they will give you a date to do the Learners written examination, once you pass that you can go and learn how to drive with a private instructor, this way is cheaper but can take 6 months before your final driving test.

Transport Department - Driving Test

Transport Department - Driving Test

2. go to one of the driving schools like Hong Kong School Of Motoring and they will arrange everything, it takes like 3 months but costs over 5000 HKD.

No such thing as reliable second hand cars, if you dont know what your looking at then most likely you will get screwed. take someone who know what they are looking at and also get the car tested by for example AA, they will give you a detailed report on the condition of the car for like 800 HKD

bryant.english and MovingIn07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    No such thing as reliable second hand cars, if you dont know what your looking at then most likely you will get screwed. take someone who know what they are looking at and also get the car tested by for example AA, they will give you a detailed report on the condition of the car for like 800 HKD
    You can get something like a Mazda 323/Ford Laser or Toyota Corolla, 15 years old for 10k - 15k. One thing, a lot of companies won't insure cars over 10 years old, that combined with being a new driver.......anyway, factor in your registration costs and insurance. I'm guessing you face 10k or more, (Just be thankful your not in the UK where your insurance could be 40k, 19 year old male...).

Quote Originally Posted by Alzthehero:
    Well I've been living in HK pretty much all my life and no I don't hold any drivers license-I also just turned 19 and I've got like no experience in this field whatsoever-I'm a total newbie so I just wanted to know the basics of getting a license
    I see. In case you had obtained an overseas license it would have been possible to transfer them without test, subject to your nationality, hence why I was asking.

Anyway, wtbhotia has provided some help for your case. Good luck with the test!

Thanks for the help guys-Im gonna apply for the test in summer