Like Tree4Likes

Can HK Driving license convert to International Driving License?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    I suppose it depends on where you are planning on driving, but in my experience the IDP is pretty much useless. Its main "benefit" seems to be to allow foreign police officers to more easily write you a ticket/collect an on-the-spot fine.

Some countries do officially require an IDP, but for many others it is optional. You probably would have to do something fairly serious for the police to nail you for not having an IDP (whilst having an otherwise valid foreign driving license). Don't do those things and you should be fine... (Note: This is not intended to be legal advice; your mileage may vary;the value of your investment may go up as well as down, etc.)
    Certainly for hiring a car in Taiwan (which I did at Easter) the car hire company was most insistent that it would NOT hire us one without a IDP. In Australia, NZ and the UK, we've had no problems with normal driving licenses, however, with the HK one having no photo, that can require some explaining when you hand it over with your ID card, because they can't understand that it's the combination of the two that works. In that case, an IDP is just easier, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Your IDP is chopped and dated on the front cover, the inside of which when you open the IPD up on the green side, it mentions in type:

" This permit is valid in the territory of ALL contracting states, except in the contracting state where issued, for the period of one year from the date of issue"..... etc etc etc etc

Accompanying photo below, taken from my last IDP, which expires next month. Thanks to this thread I will be applying for a new one, this Saturday. ...
    Recommend NOT going to the Admiralty branch. I queued for an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Recommend NOT going to the Admiralty branch. I queued for an hour.
    Have you ever flown into Perth? I got this from the rental car agency which leads me to believe they are not even going to check my licence:
    The procedure for vehicle collection is as follows.
    After clearing customs and entering the arrivals terminal, proceed to the Travelex Money Store directly in front of you. On the right hand side of the counter will be an envelope with your name on it. Please take and open this envelope and follow the instructions to your car just out the front of the terminal. Return instructions will be provided to you when you pick up the car.
    OUR EMERGENCY AFTER HOURS NUMBER IS xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    I'm thinking of just not renewing the dumb thing and take my chances

I have. Frequently, in fact. I have even rented a car in Perth - with my HK license plus ID card, no problems. You generally do not need an IDP in Australia.

wtbhotia and HowardCoombs like this.

I've had many IDPs over the years, but eventually decided they were a waste of time and money (obviously this was related to where I was planning to drive).

However, ISTR that I had to have one to rent a car in Dubai? (Had to drive the Jebel Hafeet Mountain Road.) Possibly--but it was 2007 when I was working there. OTOH, I don't know where I would have got one in the UK, but I must have done it somehow...

Also had an IDP and after a while just found it useless and let it expire. As stated it lasts for 12 months and simply a translation of your exisitng license into other languages. I used to get the IDP in the US AAA ($15USD) and no waiting.....but since I've never needed one when renting a car I have not bothered. My existing licenses (US and HK) worked fine in Oz and Malaysia.