Like Tree4Likes

Can HK Driving license convert to International Driving License?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can HK Driving license convert to International Driving License?

I got my HK driving license but wonder can I convert my HK driving License to International driving license?

You don't "convert" it, you get an International Drivers license too. You can get the form online; Take a photo and the fee to one of the transport offices, stand in a long queue and bingo - one international drivers permit valid for ONE year only.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

An international driver's licence is really just a translation of your HK one. Many countries don't recognise it.

climber07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LingLing_733:
    I got my HK driving license but wonder can I convert my HK driving License to International driving license?

ONLY, HK id card holders can apply for an international drivers licence issued in HKG, which compliments your HK drivers licence. You need to carry both, with your passport ( photo id ) when you drive in valid country's that recognise IDL's.

Off the top of my head it costs $88HKD for a 12 month IDLand takes about 30 minutes of your time to organise. I did my last one at the Shatin branch of the Transport Department, and if you need passport sized photos, they have passport photo machines on the floor above.

I'd imagine most transport department offices will have a passport photo machine, nearby, and time frames will vary depending on how busy the branch is. Admiralty will be one of the busiest/slowest for example...

Also note that even though the license is valid for 12 months the visited country may have some restrictions for using an international license, e.g. only valid for first 3 months from entering, not valid when you are or become a residents etc.

I suppose it depends on where you are planning on driving, but in my experience the IDP is pretty much useless. Its main "benefit" seems to be to allow foreign police officers to more easily write you a ticket/collect an on-the-spot fine.

Some countries do officially require an IDP, but for many others it is optional. You probably would have to do something fairly serious for the police to nail you for not having an IDP (whilst having an otherwise valid foreign driving license). Don't do those things and you should be fine... (Note: This is not intended to be legal advice; your mileage may vary;the value of your investment may go up as well as down, etc.)

Where is this 12 month thing printed?
    I just looked at mine, it has an issue date but no expiration date anywhere and nothing that talks about expiration.

My HK driving license does have expiration but the international one doesnt.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Where is this 12 month thing printed?
    I just looked at mine, it has an issue date but no expiration date anywhere and nothing that talks about expiration.

Your IDP is chopped and dated on the front cover, the inside of which when you open the IPD up on the green side, it mentions in type:

" This permit is valid in the territory of ALL contracting states, except in the contracting state where issued, for the period of one year from the date of issue"..... etc etc etc etc

Accompanying photo below, taken from my last IDP, which expires next month. Thanks to this thread I will be applying for a new one, this Saturday. ...
    Name:  DSCF3879.jpg
Views: 3125
Size:  123.1 KB
    Last edited by Skyhook; 23-04-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

I think a visit to the licence office is in order tomorrow, since we are flying off wednesday.

I havent renewed mine for years (last one was issued in 2005) and not a single rental company has every complained about this - I wonder how many people actually know about this 1 year thing and actually care enough to check. They do check the licence always....

http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/com...2011.03%29.pdf

Above is the form you can print and fill out, if your not in a hurry you can even post it in, takes 10 days for it to be sent to you.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast