So Where Are All The Rally Enthusiast

Closed Thread

So Where Are All The Rally Enthusiast

Okay I've been living in Hong Kong for a little over 2 years now and I haven't bumped into many folks with anything more than a passing intrest in my personal Passion... Rally.

Hard core High speed runs down rediculously narrow and slippery gravel roads! It's better than sex!

I just got back from a rally in Thailand with a stop in Malaysia to look at a rally car I may buy to run in the Malaysian championship next year.
    And I've got no one to share my stories with!

I'm keen on joining up with anyone interest in shareing a pint and telling rally lies together. Or even better someone interested in participating. I've been out of the drivers seat too long I have to get back into it or I'll go Insane.

I could use a team mate or two! Or a least a cheering section!

Anyway if you're out there drop me a line and we'll chat. (for all I know there is a Monthly meeting an I just haven't been invited yet )

Cheers
    Andrew Miller
    Mega Motorsport

Last edited by KnowItAll; 17-10-2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: no phone numbers please .. they can be abused

Hello There Andrew,

I am really intrested in rally as well, Love the Subaru WRX car and the noise it makes. Wanted to buy one but the wife wouldnt let me (BooHoo) so i drive a Prado instead. I might hve to put the foot down and get one when I change cars next year (Hopefully).

Hmm, I think megaman had a seam welded shell, full roll cage, willems harnessed, halda equipped, proper race prepped rally car in Group N, not a road going ricer lol.

I privateered a Group G P510 in the late 80's, early 90's until they changed the class to PRC ( production rally car ), with ambitions to do a Targa Tasmania.

I do agree that nothing beats running flat out along forest roads, co driver reading off pace notes on the halda voice activated com sets, hydraulic handbrake, cibie super oscars blazing during a night stage, and setting up a scandinavian flick 150 metres before a flat hard right ....

Ricers ( bitumen ) and Rally rhetoric are totally different camps, and not afraid to pepper the duco with stone chips and its satisfying covering the outside of the car with dust etc. hehe...

Not sure who megaman's all time favourite WRC rallye drivers are, mine would be Carlos Sainz during his domination in the Toyota Gt4 Celica days, and the late Possum Bourne, who was a personal friend, he Greg Foleta ( ex Ford Australia Suspension Engineer and Codys co driver ), and Cody Crocker ( from broadford Vic ), all good mates and employees of Team Subaru STi South Melb Australia.

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-10-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Alex Roy's Cannonball dreams started with a movie, but it didn't star Burt Reynolds. The film was C'était un Rendez-vous. Made in 1976, it's a dashing precursor to every Jackass-inspired digicam stunt ever posted on YouTube — nine heart-pounding minutes choreographed to a screaming drivetrain. Through a bumper-mounted camera, the viewer becomes the car — traveling more than 80 mph as the anonymous driver revs into the enormous traffic circle around Paris' Arc de Triomphe, steers hammer-down from the Champs Élysées to Sacré-Coeur in Montmartre (through 16 red lights, wrong-way one-ways, stunned pedestrians, garbage trucks, and median strips) to meet up with a beautiful blonde waiting patiently in the park at the Montmartre church.

Thanks for that post KIA, that was a most satisfying read, I'd love to do a Gumball Rally lol, I'd be prepared to go for it, just need someone to pony up the 2008 357kw Nissan R35 GTR , and the 30K GBP entry fee lol. But, wouldnt it be awsome to actually do it..... Hats off to Roy in the story, he had a flawless game plan, the right V10 engined BMW M5, his total efforts paid off as a result... I especially liked his spotter plane idea, that was a brilliant move !

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-10-2007 at 04:32 PM.

These were the days, I was looking for 1992 footage, the year that I believe Carlos Sainz drove at his very best, but couldnt find the clip I wanted, so this 1993 clip will have to do...Juha Kankkunen drove awesome during this event, another of my past rally favourites.

Respects to Colin Mcrae, Roger Freeth and Possum Bourne, 3 shining stars that are no longer with us, all together during this 1993 Rally of Australia clip...

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-10-2007 at 05:37 PM.

Thumbs up

This clip will make you laugh as a funny tribute to Claude Lelouch's Rendez-vous, Vespa style, video footage played backwards on a rear projection screen, making a pretty funny version.

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-10-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Hmm, I think megaman had a seam welded shell, full roll cage, willems harnessed, halda equipped, proper race prepped rally car in Group N, not a road going ricer lol.

the halda voice activated com sets, hydraulic handbrake, cibie super oscars blazing during a night stage, and setting up a scandinavian flick 150 metres before a flat hard right ....

Skyhook you're talking my language...perhaps a decade or so earlier than me (Halda..Cibie...510) but it's the same dialect!

I've actually got a WRX street car...so I can also sympathise with the love of a good noise...bought it without even consulting my wife though...

All time favourite WRC drivers definitly include Carlos. Met him once...I marshalled the ATC for the first monday morning stage of Network Q Great Britian in 98 (the Year he lost the championship when his toyota blew up 300m before the end of the last stage) So all the top guys arrived early Got a chance to talk to a few of them...Carlos was grumpy... Uha was so focused he didn't even notice me...Colin was friendly..Nicky Grist was a laugh a minute (I've since shared a beer with him and he's still funny as hell)

Some of my favourite footage is the 80's sport Quattro stuff from Finland and the like... I know modern cars are much faster but Damn it just looks crazy fast back then...

I'm actually desperately trying to get myself back driving again. Bloody hard when there is no rally Here...I've got to do everything by remote control in a different country (Malaysia at the moment)...I've had a chance for a little seat time in the last year though...paticularly nice trip in Dec of last year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8l-lCdL4_s

Anyway keep the shiny side up!
    Cheers
    Miller

I'd like to be one of those people standing in the path...

I don't know much about rallying, but I do know Colin McRae died recently...

I did participate in a 24 hour enduro race two months ago and had a blast. Four drivers with an ITB MKIII Golf.

Driving on route twisk(????) and bride pool road(???*?) in the new territories will probably be the closest you'll get to rallying in HK.