Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JAherbert
  • 1 Post By 100LL

driving over the border

Closed Thread

driving over the border

I remember there was talk about easing rules for HK drivers allowing them to go over the border with their car...

where are we with that?

I don't see anything official (at GovHK: Cross-boundary Driving)

So does this rules out mainlanders who live in Hong Kong? Strange. Ie. mainlander who lives here for 15 years, they don't have a home return permit since they have a PRC passport and permanent HKID,

dear giant likes this.

I suspect that the purpose of the scheme, besides a further erosion of the firewalls between HK and the Mainland, is to facilitate smuggling of goods, people, etc. in and out of HK.

If the alien invaders in the War of the Worlds started up a Earth-Mars Interplanetary Rocketing scheme, the point wouldn't really be to facilitate Earthmen visiting the Red Planet.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    So does this rules out mainlanders who live in Hong Kong? Strange. Ie. mainlander who lives here for 15 years, they don't have a home return permit since they have a PRC passport and permanent HKID,
    Most would actually have a HKSAR passport and home return permit which they are entitled to apply for.

how would a mainlander who lives in hk be eligible for an hksar passport? is it because in 100LL's scenario they'd lived here for 15 years?

Because they are a Chinese citizen with PR here. Most grab a HKSAR passport as soon as they can.

thanks, i didn't know they'd be eligible.