Like Tree16Likes

Rear-ended by taxi on red light

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I would take it to a garage of your choice to see how much damage has been done and how much to repair before you inform the insurance company. It could be more serious than you think.

If's it not, then contact the driver and see if you can settle it privately.

Edit: Oops... I see the suggestion's already been made and I can't now delete my comments.

Last edited by bsh; 27-09-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    Apparently that is not the way it works in Hong Kong, you are on your own (at least with third party liability only). Unless I misunderstood something, that's what the Kwiksure office told me on the phone today.
    Oh right good to know. Well in that case, as others have said, you should get a repair quote from a reputable garage and present that to the taxi driver for payment. I wouldn't want to use his recommended repairer unless they appear reputable. The last thing you want is a shoddy repair.

A few years ago a young chap rear ended my car, details were exchanged, I got a quote, then the excuses started to fly, my mother is sick I cant afford it, my dog needs an operation, please dont claim on the insurance, blah, blah, blah.

Get a quote from a firm you are happy with, and give the chap 24 hours to pay in FULL or you will call police, file claim, etc. etc.

I understand taxi drivers block the traffic arguing about the cost of repairs because they have to small settle claims, with other taxi drivers, on the spot, often driving to the nearest ATM to get the cash to settle immediately, I believe it because the claim is against the driver, and getting money out of owners is very difficult.

No sympathy to the taxi driver, if it was you rear ending him, he would milk you as much as possible, some fake injury as well if they could.

Like what others have said, get quote, slap it to him, if he says he cant pay then send it to his insurance company along with the police report.

Satay Sue, bryant.english and shri like this.

So different to Japan! We were rear-ended by a taxi - they sent a rep from the taxi company who bowed and apologised profusely, stopped us contacting the insurance company by offering to repair not only the damage the driver had caused but the other minor dings around the car! And rented us a Nissan Skyline for the week that the car was in for repair

OP, do as wtb says, good advice there.

Yeap, wtbhotia knows what he is talking about, I would pay attention do as he suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    So different to Japan! We were rear-ended by a taxi - they sent a rep from the taxi company who bowed and apologised profusely, stopped us contacting the insurance company by offering to repair not only the damage the driver had caused but the other minor dings around the car! And rented us a Nissan Skyline for the week that the car was in for repair

Maybe that explains why taxi fares are so goddamn expensive in Japan lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Satay Sue likes this.

Ha, you are more likely to win the lottery than to see that happen in HK! So many of these HK taxi drivers drive like as if they own the road and they are bound to get in some mishap. They will avoid paying/lie to your face and just generally minimize the compensation anyway they can. You can't be a sympathetic bleeding-heart when they are at fault. Squeeze them dry!
    Last edited by Watercooler; 27-09-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    bryant.english likes this.

Is is the Skyline they lent you?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Is is the Skyline they lent you?

Ha, very similar. Put it this way, it was several days before we could agree on a "mutually convenient time for them to come and collect it"